Slapping self on face and head

Deesal31

Nov 11, 2021
I am not quite sure what to make of this new behaviour which first surfaced yesterday and has raised its head a couple of times today

There is no stress involved, quite the opposite in fact, because when my husband has been laughing and joking with others he suddenly smacks himself on the face or raps his knuckles hard on his head.

It's not a light slap or knuckle rap either - it's loud and leaves a mark.

He is none the worse for it afterwards, he carries on smiling and laughing - it's just a little alarming to watch and hear.

I suppose I am wondering if anyone else can identify with this? Maybe it is a reaction to some kind of information overload and he doesn't know how to deal with it (he does have trouble getting his words out).

Deesal31

Nov 11, 2021
my daughter's husband! they have been married now for 6 years. he slaps the side of his head to often now. he told us it's a habit he had a little dog when he was a little Boy! that would do that so he pick up the habit. he doesn't work he won't see a doctor. I have decided to move out of the home we rent together. it has just gotten worse, he got my daughter emotionally stressed he calls her at work all the time for everything. when he does work he comes home or calls to complain to my daughter about how people treat him he hasn't worked for a long while now! and when he does it's less the year. I worry when I leave if we won't get help if he will hurt my daughter. I help her with rent and bills. cause he won't. I am 62 and had to quit work because of left bad knee. I am now getting help from disability. so I am going to go back home to NV. Home is CA but most of our family moved to vegas. so that's home now. I am getting surgery so afterwards I am planning on moving out. what can I do to help my daughter?