Sky News

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone!

I am just watching an item on Sky News about carers having to give up
work to care for loved ones with dementia. Of course the NHS is telling us what it's doing to help.

MaNaAk

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
The Guardian was quoted a figure of £3.2 billion lost to industry by carers taking time off work to look after relatives with dementia. I don't really care about the money, but it highlights how many people are having to give up work temporarily or permanently.
There was another article in the same paper about dementia, frustration about finding a cure, and the Dutch model, but it was too sad to finish.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I am afraid the media have left it a little too late to pick this topic worthy of representation. With the never ending brexit issue I am sure this will again go unresolved for many years to come. And I for one am dissapointed, how are people supposed to survive caring for someone by giving up their work as they too approach old age? The cost isn't just to business its also affects individuals and the choices they make far more deeply especially as their pensions and national insurance payments are affected. This is a cost that isn't fully known if it were to be all added up into one grand sum, a cost that falls on deaf ears purposely.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Yes I gave up work gradually to look after dad because it was absolutely the only way I could cope with it all. I am now entering my 3rd year of no income other than carers allowance and a small occupational pension.

My boss promised that I could have a job with her whenever I wanted but sadly she has moved away now so that won't happen. I have another 3 years before my state pension kicks in and little hope of finding another job. Getting carers allowance was very difficult because dad was only getting the low rate of DLA and that was another fight altogether which took months and they still refused to back date the DLA.

When dad dies I can look forward to jobseekers allowance and the joy of hunting for a job that I don't really want anymore.