1. Welcome to Talking Point - an online community for everyone who is affected by dementia. Whether you have dementia or know someone who does, we will be there for you.

If you need help using Talking Point, read our Help pages or contact us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk

2. Hi everyone, Talking Point is back! We’ve updated the software in order to improve security, design, and the way the community works, and introduced some helpful features.

Find out more

Skin infections which won't go away - mum is not helping

Discussion in 'Middle - later stages of dementia' started by Dayperson, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Dayperson

Dayperson Registered User

Feb 18, 2015
    I hope I am not alone in this, mum keeps getting skin infections, first under her breasts, now today I gave her a wash and she has one in her belly button.

She does not make things easy for us, she wears the same clothes 24/7, doesn't wash unless I wash her (been trying twice a week) and keeps tucking her T-Shirt in which means she overheats and makes the infection worse.

Any suggesions? I am thinking she needs some more looser fitting clothes, but until it gets warmer that won't be possible. Is there anything I can do about the infection? Should I keep nagging her not to tuck her T-Shirt in?

2. lemonjuice

lemonjuice Registered User

Jun 15, 2016
    England
    Take her to the GP. Sounds like a fungal infection, for which she can be prescribed something.

3. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    London
    I concur. She needs creams. You might have to apply them as she'll probably not do it herself.
    And nagging doesn't work with someone with dementia, I'm afraid.

4. Dayperson

Feb 18, 2015
    Mum had this last year around the same time of the year and we kept taking her back to the doctors as the cream she was prescribed didn't work and she had to wait 3 months to see a dermatologist by which time it had almost gone but she was given more cream. I think if we go back to the doctors we'll go though the same thing again. My aunt suggested trying foot odour powder as creams are wet and make it spread whereas the powder dries it out. I have tried this but mum now refuses to allow me to put it on her. She is much more agitated and agression than last year so it is much harder to treat.

5. TiredHills

TiredHills Registered User

Feb 28, 2017
    West Sussex
    I had this with my MIL and we were given hydrocortisone cream. It was so bad under her breasts it had gone back to bear skin. It was an infection due to not washing or drying herself properly and wearing the same bra and clothes.
    I'm now her full time carer and wash her every morning and evening and (touch wood) we haven't had a repeat of it since!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

6. OldDog99

OldDog99 Registered User

Feb 14, 2017
    I believe there are sprays available for fungal infections which might be better.

7. Dayperson

Feb 18, 2015
    Ended up not taking her to the docs but now I change her into bed clothes and get her washed and dressed in the morning. Since then the infection has gone or nearly gone and she doesn't smell as bad.