skilled intervention

Skyrim

Jun 19, 2015
"Skilled intervention"

This is a measurement of need for nursing care right? So, for someone with dysphagia, for example a "timely, skilled intervention" would be the implementation of a diet that was nutritious but also met the individual's swallowing problems. Sorted by a dietitian and care/nursing staff. Its a higher level of support than would be provided by, for example, care staff alone.
If you look up the NHS Continuing care Checklist (gov.uk), you can see the varying levels of need and, thus, intervention (aka care) in differrent categories, such as mood, behaviour, cognition, nutrition and so on.
Obviously the more in the highest level of need you score, the greater the chance of CHC. Hope this helps you.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Barry

Don't forget the NHS mantra that 'a well managed need is still a need'. Quite often when a CHC checklist is being completed this guidance is often completely forgotten.

As you mention a CHC checklist I'm assuming you are thinking of the full CHC funding not just the nursing element?

For example if a person is mobile but can only walk a few steps before often falling they would need support from a Carer to keep him safe. If the CH recognises this need, and they allocate someone to walk with the resident then the resident's need is being managed well. The risk of falls is still there.(this applied to my late Husband before he became immobile)

Take care

Lyn T XX

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi Barry

Don't forget the NHS mantra that 'a well managed need is still a need'. Quite often when a CHC checklist is being completed this guidance is often completely forgotten.

As you mention a CHC checklist I'm assuming you are thinking of the full CHC funding not just the nursing element?

For example if a person is mobile but can only walk a few steps before often falling they would need support from a Carer to keep him safe. If the CH recognises this need, and they allocate someone to walk with the resident then the resident's need is being managed well. The risk of falls is still there.(this applied to my late Husband before he became immobile)

Take care

Lyn T XX

It is certainly true that a managed need is still a need, but unfortunately when you are talking about CHC a need that can be managed scores less than a need that cannot. Eg - in the nutrition domain, even if you are PEG fed, if it is non-problematic it will only score you a moderate. If it is problematic it will score you a high. To be severe, either you need feeding by IV, or not to be able to be fed at all.