Six weeks since mum went into CH and siblings want to clear house and rent it

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
Yep you are right Williamr he is very similar in age. However here in Australia there is a legacy system whereby if he dies first his executor becomes mum's . Though the executor can decline and the court can appoint another executor who is usually the main beneficiary.

For mum assets wise there is likely to only be her nursing home bond to be returned after she passes. Most other assets will have been sorted as per mum's wishes earlier on.

Hi MrsTerryN

I must say it sounds a crazy system to me.
I know of a case where the siblings of the father thought they were entitled to the father's estate because the son was reasonably well off.
The father did not want his brother's / sisters to be involved in the winding up of the estate and appointed his son as the executor.
The siblings did not come to the funeral.

William

SarahL

Dec 1, 2012
It must be horrible to have this sort of acrimony within your family. But I do find it astonishing how many people seem to think that P of A gives you carte blanche to spend someone else's money, or dish it out to other people. Almost as if the person was dead and buried, and the will had gone through probate.

Maybe some prime time TV programme is called for, showing the dire consequences of deprivation of assets and vultures helping themselves. An EastEnders storyline might be good, methinks.

I agree Witzend. It is a total disgrace that people think that the person with POA has carte blanche to spend someone else's money, particularly those who have not given anything to support or care for the vulnerable person. They are happy to give nothing but to take, take, take, acting like the person is dead whilst assuming the Attorney will share money as though it's their own. My mother is very much alive and to be respected and treated with dignity, like any other individual, vulnerable and with mental capacity or not. Mum is happy and laughing with me now and even hugging me which is brilliant after the hard years. Anger is setting in as the days go by since receiving the email which shocked me to the core, and I have not responded to my sisters yet as I feel so upset. Yes to some prime time programme!

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
I agree Witzend. It is a total disgrace that people think that the person with POA has carte blanche to spend someone else's money, particularly those who have not given anything to support or care for the vulnerable person. They are happy to give nothing but to take, take, take, acting like the person is dead whilst assuming the Attorney will share money as though it's their own. My mother is very much alive and to be respected and treated with dignity, like any other individual, vulnerable and with mental capacity or not. Mum is happy and laughing with me now and even hugging me which is brilliant after the hard years. Anger is setting in as the days go by since receiving the email which shocked me to the core, and I have not responded to my sisters yet as I feel so upset. Yes to some prime time programme!

As to that email from your brother, must say I would be sorely tempted to tell him to go and **** himself with the rough end of a pineapple...