• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can now be found in our new area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can directly access this area >here<.



Registered User
Oct 10, 2015
Hello everyone advice need please
Good afternoon all you lovely tp people

I have just had the devastating news that my 85 year old mum, has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. She has many other ailments which by and large we cope with. The hospital are now looking at discharging back to my care at home. She suffered a silent stroke that went undecided two years ago it's just been noted now and a few weeks back a heart attack and a misdiagnosed uti all this lead to a severe bout of deleium and and the underlying Alzheimer's. Anyway to get to the point I will be working at home but will need someone to sit with her on an adhoc basis just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a sitter in the nw9 area of London

Really hope you can help its all a bit scary right now this unknown world

Thanks and God bless xx


Registered User
Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Welcome to TP.
Sorry to hear about your Mum.

Yes it is scarey but now you have found us , hopefully it will be less so.
Feel free to ask questions, we will do our best to help.

I can't help with an ad hock sitter maybe others on here can.
The Hospital social worker may be able to help, if not do contact Adult Social services in your area.
If your Mum is self funding it's unlikely you will get much help from them other than leaflets, but it is good to know how to contact them if needed.

You need to ensure that the hospital does not discharge you Mum without following the proper discharge procedure, which is rather more involved than they do for those of us that would be fine at home if a little weak, ie " would you like to go home ".

Have a look at this Factsheets on here


If you click on Alzheimer's society resources under the light blue line near the top right of each page, you will see a few links , one of them is to all our Factsheets.

As you read others posts on here, they can be rather scarey, try to emember no two people with dementia are the same, though their are similarities

I found these charities very helpful
The Alzheimer's society
Age uk
Last edited:


Registered User
May 21, 2014
Your Mum should not be discharged without a proper care package in place. The hospital social worker should be dealing with this, otherwise contact social services. Sitting service in our area is given through Age UK but mostly funded by Social services. SS could also put carers or day care attendance in place, plus respite for you. Contact the Carers Centre and the Alzheimer's Society for more advice, emotional support or advocacy. They can also help you fill in forms. The most important will be lasting power of attorney for finances and health and Attendance Allowance and council tax exemption due to severe mental impairment for your mother.


Registered User
Jul 20, 2011
you can apply for non means tested Attendance Allowance for her - as you are living with her and sorting her out day and night you should get the higher rate. Remember you fill in the form as though it is her worst day not her best or just average! This helps a lot with the costs of a sitting service or similar
Good luck