Sister with primary progressive aphasia

Sadaboutppa

Sep 19, 2015
Dublin
My younger sister was diagnosed with ppa about 3 years ago. I think she had symptoms for 2 years before that. So, if I'm right, she is 5 years into the disease. We used to be incredibly close but all that has changed.
She now has very little speech and is having trouble managing cutlery. Does anyone else have any idea how much time she may have before it gets a lot worse. The change in personality, the feeling that she is no longer the same person is the hardest thing. Spending time with her one to one is very, very difficult.
I would love to hear from someone else with a similar situation.
Thanks.

DundeeMan

Sep 28, 2015
My younger sister was diagnosed with ppa about 3 years ago. I think she had symptoms for 2 years before that. So, if I'm right, she is 5 years into the disease. We used to be incredibly close but all that has changed.
She now has very little speech and is having trouble managing cutlery. Does anyone else have any idea how much time she may have before it gets a lot worse. The change in personality, the feeling that she is no longer the same person is the hardest thing. Spending time with her one to one is very, very difficult.
Thanks.

Hi Sadaboutppa,

I'm sorry to hear what your sister has been going through and the effect this is having on you and other members of your family.

I came to this forum looking for information about PPA because I am displaying the symptoms, even though I am outside the usual expected age range.

Over the past year I have found myself increasingly unable to find words and other language difficulties. I was interested in what you were saying about your sister being unable to use cutlery. I've not seen coordination mentioned anywhere in relation to this condition but I've been struggling with tasks that require a bit of dexterity. I'm regularly dropping change in shops as I try to count it out and my phone slips out of my hands frequently.

San 'Fairy' Ann

Jun 28, 2014
merseyside
Thanks.

Hi there, may I ask which variant of ppa does your sister have? I have logopenic ppa 4years in

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife