Sir Bobby Charlton

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Good evening everyone.

I've just seen the news and I just want to let you know that I am thinking of Sir Bobby Charlton as he has been diagnosed with dementia.

MaNaAk

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
Along with his brother Jackie who died recently from lymphoma and dementia (same as my dad and his home town is next door to theirs but my dad hated football). Nobby Stiles also from the 1966 team, very recently died from dementia. Heading the ball must be dementia risk.

Hayley JS

Feb 20, 2020
I did wonder about Nobby Stiles as the BBC mentioned he'd died in a care home but didn't state the cause of death. I wish they had, the more frequently people are confronted with the word 'dementia' the better so many of us are oblivious to its devastating impact until it rocks up and takes over our lives.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
there is a study going on into the frequency of footballers getting dementia by heading the ball. in youth sides they are not allowed to header the ball

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
The ball they used to use was a much heavier, stitched leather thing that became particularly heavy when wet. (We used call that type of ball a 'casey'.)

Many, many old footballers have been diagnosed with dementia. There have been studies in various countries which have led to heading being banned for young teams, as @jennifer1967 says, but older players clearly still do. Many boxers get dementia too - they used to describe boxers as 'punch drunk' when they could barely speak after being in a fight.

It's not difficult to work out that hitting your head constantly is really not good for the brain....

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
What you say is true. It appears that previous head injuries increase the risk of developing dementia.
I think young children playing football aren’t allowed to head the ball these days.

Whisperer

Mar 27, 2017
Southern England
I just wanted to say thank you to Bobby and Jackie Charlton. As a young boy on The terraces in the late 1960s I saw both of them play against the team I supported Chelsea. Both were tough but fair opponents and you had to admire their talents. They were well paid but poorly by today standards. They played for the love of the game first and foremost. Please RIP and along with Nobby and Peter who died this year as well, if there is a Heavens Eleven they will be a lot better team now. Thank you for the memories.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
In North America there is a growing realization that head injuries in sports like American and Canadian football and hockey can inrease the risk of developing AD, In my industry, there is a gentleman who played for the Toronto Argos in the 60s and he was diagnosed with AD several years ago, A lovely man but unfortunately he had to leave the company he co-founded.

Hayley JS

Feb 20, 2020
Did anybody see the interview with Willy-somebody-or-other (who knew/played with Bobby) on the BBC news Monday morning? I cringed my way through it, the comment 'I hope he's not got it too bad' still has me dumbfounded....

Just me

Nov 17, 2013
Did anybody see the interview with Willy-somebody-or-other (who knew/played with Bobby) on the BBC news Monday morning? I cringed my way through it, the comment 'I hope he's not got it too bad' still has me dumbfounded....
No I didn’t but I was listening to Radio 5 Live in the early hours and the presenter said to someone who mentioned Bobby Moore’s dementia, “we don’t want to focus on that”. I switched off.....

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I watch News watch on Saturday mornings on BBC One and I'll let you know if anyone says anything. This is why we need to make people much more aware of dementia.

MaNaAk