Single or Double

Valk

Nov 14, 2006
Has anyone had any experiences on what size electronic bed to buy? I am looking to purchase a bed. I don't know if to buy a single electronic bed for my mum or a double. She is used to a double, but I don't want to make a mistake by buying the wrong size and make life difficult for her by it being too small. Has anyone bought a Double and it's been to difficult to move the person you are caring for.

Regards Valk.:confused:

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
What I am going to point you at will probably not help you - but part of the functionality may.

Look at http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/discuss/showthread.php?t=239 which shows the bed we got for my wife Jan.

She needs the bars around as she will certainly fall otherwise.

Look at the mattress - it rises and falls wholly, or at one end or the other, to make it more comfortable - but also to help the carers manipulate Jan into, and out of the bed.

If you can find a bed that has that functionality, it may be beneficial.

Good luck

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Valk

I've no experience of electronic beds, and we sleep in a double. But should one become necessary, I'd go for a single, as being much easier to change, etc.

I bought double-sized Kylie sheets, but have had to cut them in half, because once full of water the double ones are too heavy for the spin cycle of the washing machine.

Just a thought.

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
My Mum bought herself an electric adjustible bed and got on very well with it. She had rheumatoid arthritis and couldn't always get herself out of bed. When we moved it into her Care Home, it was very heavy, even though it came apart, so I should think a double electric bed would be very hard to move around.
Also, when Mum had to go into a Nursing Home, she couldn't take her bed with her, because there were worries that a hoist wouldn't fit under it to lift her and the side bars may not have worked either.
We sold the bed on E-Bay for a fraction of what it had cost and there are always lots of these beds for sale. They are very expensive and may not be suitable when the person needs a different level of care.
Kayla