Singing for the brain

kingybell

Feb 3, 2015
I have been looking for something for me and my mil to do that we both enjoy.
She keeps saying she always wanted to be an actress and singer growing up. She's got a decent voice and I too sing having studied performing arts and regularly perform in Birmingham.

I think the singing for brain sessions are a good idea. However most seem to be in the afternoon when I am at work. Anyone know of an evening session in staffs or West Midlands?

If I can't find one thinking of setting one up near me.

Bernadette2

Mar 13, 2015
Wow thank you so much for mentioning this idea - I did not know it existed and have just seen that there is one near us. Mum might love this and my five year old daughter...

Bernadette2

Mar 13, 2015
Sorry got carried away by my own good fortune and Realise I have been no help to you whatsoever!! It would be great if you set up a local group...

JigJog

Nov 6, 2013
Soup and a Song

The waiting list for our local Singing for the Brain group was very long, so a church in our village has set up a similar group called Soup and a Song, specifically for Dementia sufferers and their carers.

I think you are allowed to set them up yourself, but you are not allowed to call them Singing for the Brain. That is specifically for use by the Alzheimer's Society. People from the church visited a local Singing for the Brain group and received lots of helpful advice on the type of songs to choose and how to run it.

I go once a month with my OH. We love it. Simple songs, some sung in a round or two parts, some with actions. Basic percussion instruments provided too. All followed by some social time too. Brilliant!

Good luck!

JJ x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Our local Alzheimers Scotland centre has a choir rather than a Singing for the Brain group. They employ a project worker who runs this and it is a funded project. I think the funding is actually from elsewhere but he is based with Alz Scot. The choir is called Total Recall! It is for people with dementia and their carers.

This page gives some questions and answers about Singing for The Brain -

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/faqs.php?categoryID=200328&faqID=56

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Musical Memories

Ours is called Musical Memories and can have as many as fifty at times - usually about thirty. We have two stars who are solo performers. Yes, they can only recall the words of a few songs but sing them so beautifully that no one minds hearing them again and again. We have a guitarist who leads the singing and chooses the songs and loads of tambourines, drums and maracas. John and I both feel uplifted after an hours singing clapping and cheering.

It is run by Alzheimers Scotland.

I would encourage anyone to join in. Go along for a cup of tea and sing or don't sing but just enjoy the company. If you can start a new group with the help of your local community so much the better.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I agree Marion. We all feel so good after the session. We have put in three major concerts now and often sing at things like NHS conferences and so on. There's never a dry eye in the house!! I know I've put this on another thread but I can't resist putting in here. This is Bill accompanying By The Light Of The Silvery Moon on the tambourine!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 473

kingybell

Feb 3, 2015
Thanks guys I now have lots of ideas. My own theatre group are doing a music hall show and I'm playing Marie Lloyd. My theatre group would probably help me set something up and we could take it in turns to run sessions using some of the old music hall themes.

My mil would love it as she's always telling me she should be up on stage singing, bless her.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
The sessions run by the Society are only weekdays and in the daytime as far as I know. Also befriending in my area is the same, because they haven't got funding or the inclination to have someone available evenings/weekends when more people would be available to get involved.

It's something I hope will change if enough people ask for evening/weekend sessions.

kingybell

Feb 3, 2015
I agree Marion. We all feel so good after the session. We have put in three major concerts now and often sing at things like NHS conferences and so on. There's never a dry eye in the house!! I know I've put this on another thread but I can't resist putting in here. This is Bill accompanying By The Light Of The Silvery Moon on the tambourine!

This is a great picture and just goes to show you can have a life with Dementia.