Simple 'Assistance Required' sound device quandry

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
Looking for some bright ideas for an easily used sound generator. OK - here's the scene:
Our home was originally built in 1874 when walls were good thick solid walls and floors were so thick that little sound travels up or down.

My dear OH is still able to get upstairs to the bathroom unaided but has, of late, needed some assistance getting sorted out and cleaned up. All the time he can manage by himself I want him to continue doing so but I'd like him to be able to summon me if necessary.

The bathroom's towards the front of the house. I spent 75% of my time in the kitchen at the back of the house - so weak voiced hollering down to me doesn't work.

I don't want to introduce anything electronic or complicated like a walkie-talkie so am a bit stumped right now. Do you lads and lasses think a good old gas horn (no pun intended) might be worth considering so long as I make my next door neighbours aware of what it's for and forestall any unintended panic?

Cazcaz

Apr 3, 2021
A wireless doorbell? As long as you keep the receiver near you, it’ll ring wherever you are.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Is there a socket on the landing close to the bathroom? If so, a simple plug in baby alarm might work if it could pick up your OHs voice. You could then carry the receiver with you where ever you are or just use it in the kitchen.

Would your husband be able to press a button to call you? You might then be able to have a battery operated doorbell in the bathroom - don’t know if that would be dangerous with water around though!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
A battery operated bell push would be safe in a bathroom.
Instead of a fixed bell push call buttons that can be attached to clothing or worn round neck are available, this would allow your husband to alert you from wherever he was
e.g.

Cazcaz

Apr 3, 2021
You could even use a baby monitor. If you think he could remember how. Just leave the speaker switched off, then if he needs you, he turns it on/up and speaks to you wherever you are.

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
Have been looking at wireless doorbells. Found a couple on Amazon that have two bellpushes and one receiver. Could be good with one in bathroom, and one in bedroom. The big question is would he remember or understand how to use them?
My OH has a 'thing' about time and day of the week. The talking watch, the Alz clock and the desktop push button speaking dooh-dah have all proved to be a waste of money.
I've tried to get him to repeat after me "Alexa, what's the time?" or "Alexa, what day is it?" but he can't retain the thought for even those few moments.
Maybe I'll just keep running up and downstairs every few minutes. D'oh!

Cazcaz

Apr 3, 2021
You could get a thing like “kidsflush”. It’s a button that goes on top of the toilet flush which plays a sound when flushed. Then maybe if you haven’t seen your OH a minute or so later, you know they need help?

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I'd attach a wireless doorbell over the loo roll holder. Would he remember? if its there rightwhere he is looking for loo roll he might - IF he realises he needs help

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
You could get a thing like “kidsflush”. It’s a button that goes on top of the toilet flush which plays a sound when flushed. Then maybe if you haven’t seen your OH a minute or so later, you know they need help.
When help is needed it hasn't got as far as the flush!
Think I'll go for the wireless doorbell stuck to the tiles near the loo roll as suggested by @Jessbow and see how things work out. I'll use double sided tape rather than a more permanent adhesive in the first instance so that I can remove it if necessary.
The bells/ringers aren't expensive so if it's another good idea that dies a death then not much will have been lost.

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
The doorbell receiver and two transmitter buttons arrived today.
Hmmmm .... have spent some time explaining and eventually got through the mist by telling him they were Servant Call Bells.
Have I just made a rod for my own back or what? Hey-ho ... here we go.

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
Oh well, a few weeks on and the poor bell push in the bathroom remains unused and unloved. It's been activated once but that was from curiosity rather than need.
However, over the last few weeks I've had to start accompanying my OH upstairs to the bathroom as he can't remember where it is - and then explain which item is the loo. It's then easier to simply wait until the deed is done and get on with the clear up. I'll try a nice blue loo seat to see if that helps differentiate it from the sink or shower for the odd occasion he ventures alone to the bathroom.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Oh well, it was worth a try. (I rather liked the fog horn idea or one of those noisy car horns that plays La Cucaracha... Bet your neighbours would have loved that.)

My mum would also enter the bathroom but couldn't find the toilet. Even when it was pointed out she hadn't a clue how to get herself onto it or what to do once there.

Hope there's a good view from your bathroom window - looks like you'll be spending a lot of time there. Really sorry. Make sure you organise treats for yourself after...

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
How about a football rattle? Simple to use, low-tech, quite big so hard to lose, easy to operate. Cost is around £10.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Having a coloured seat is a good idea, but you may like to try a red one as it's a colour that people with dementia find easiest to see