signs of T.I.A's ?

jennifer3

Apr 4, 2006
lancs
has anyone noticed if there are any signs of T.I.As in vascular dementia. my husband has A & Vascular but i have noticed he gets very aggressive not violent but very threatening (which would upset him if he could remember) this carries on for a few days and then he will sleep forall night (lovely) and all day if left afterwards he has lost more memory. I just wondered if any on else had noticed this or is it a symptom alspo he cannot remeber anyu thing about the last two weeks that's fairly normal for him

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
I only witnessed 1 episode with Auntie which the doc who attended said was "probably a TIA" and both I and my husband honestly thought she was dying. She was grey, almost totally unconcious for a period of about 5 hours, almost helpless when she came round, disorientated and unable to even eat soup. Amazingly she was firing on all cylinders the next day and for several days after was more with it than she had been for months, after that the steady decline continued.

Rosalind

Jul 2, 2005
Wiltshire
Not a scientific observation, but my husband seems to make sort of 'hmmm?' noises sometimes. This happened after he definitely had a TIA of some sort when on holiday, when he took hire car down the road and disappeared for 36 hours. During his time awol he thought he had been in Athens (we were in Crete) and that there had been a slight earthquake that he had felt through the pavement (there had not been any earthquake at the time). Obviously this was extreme, but from time to time afterwards (this happened 3 years ago) he has had periods of making the same noise, and his mental ability has deteriorated. I cannot absolutely state that the hmms correlate with more memory loss, but think that the puzzlement that they indicate might well be part of the bigger picture.

Dave W

Jul 3, 2005
Bucks
Different symptoms?

I think TIAs will generate different symptomsin each individual, as the damage done will be different each time. My Mum's symptons seem to be like Jennifer3's husband, except she'll be faint or giddy or very shaky for a few hours at the onset. For the next two weeks or so, we'll be hugely more confused and delusional, and verbally very agressive. And then it will gradually life a litte, although not back to where it had been. From her behaviour tonight, I think there's been another episode very recently - she was very emotional and stroppy when we arrived, although chatting gradually lifted her out of it.

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
hi everyone
excuse my ignorance but what are TIAs?
im pretty new to dementia and symptoms and ive never heard of that one?

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
hi blue gremlin

I can normally work the abbreviations out, but im afraid this one had me stumped:confused:

carol

Jun 24, 2004
Surrey/Hampshire
Transient Ischaemic Attack - i.e. temporary or mini stroke/s

TIA's result when there is a temporary disruption in the blood flow to the brain tissue.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Carol

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
thanks carol

it does help when your reading threads to know what things mean:)

i did write another post but it seems to have disappered somewhere, :confused:

i just thought perhaps we could have a post with all the abbreviations associated with dementia on it so novices like me would know what they were.

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Dear Jennifer, what you describe is similar to what my Mum experienced. For several days she would get more agitated, then she had a day or so where she was kind of out of it, sleeping a lot etc, just as you describe. She would then come round again, more her usual self, all be it with dementia. But she always seemed to stay a little worse permanantly each time it happened. She had several of these little episodes. The GP said they were TIA's. Love She. XX

Chris Edgerton

Oct 22, 2003
Warwick District
TIA's and the effect of drugs

jennifer3 said:
has anyone noticed if there are any signs of T.I.As in vascular dementia. my husband has A & Vascular but i have noticed he gets very aggressive not violent but very threatening (which would upset him if he could remember) this carries on for a few days and then he will sleep forall night (lovely) and all day if left afterwards he has lost more memory. I just wondered if any on else had noticed this or is it a symptom alspo he cannot remeber anyu thing about the last two weeks that's fairly normal for him

My mother in the last months has had four TIA's or so the doctors think. On one occasion recovered within a day, other TIA's have taken longer.

However, when taken of her drugs, recovers very quickly. And as said previously she was more alert than before the TIA.

As for before the TIA, mother was very lethargic, but I feel this was due to the drugs. The home and the doctor say the drugs are for her benefit as otherwise she is agitated and marching around the EMI care home.

My mother is on the following drugs: Trazodone, Zopiclone and Chloropmazine. Has any one any comments about these drugs and TIA’s; before and after?