Signing on after caring full time

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
Does anyone know what signing on for former carer's is like. I am lucky in that I can live without the money (thank you husband), but I have been applying unsuccessfully for jobs after father went into care home. Problem is I am still spending about 10 hours a week on support despite him being in care home and he does have an operation coming up which will increase amount of time.

I'm 59 at the moment just in case that makes a difference.

I worked in a fairly specific sector previously and I have no doubt I would never be employed there again five years have passed and things have moved on. I have been applying for jobs but not in that sector. Its helped me sort out that actually what I really would like would be about 7 hours a week of work which would allow me to carry on supporting father.

I suppose I am most bothered about damage to pension after I was shafted by the retirement age being shifted and/or husband then dying before I get my pension.

I don't think it would do me any good to be forced into a scenario where I am getting sanctioned etc etc and of course that is what they want.

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Does anyone know what signing on for former carer's is like. I am lucky in that I can live without the money (thank you husband), but I have been applying unsuccessfully for jobs after father went into care home. Problem is I am still spending about 10 hours a week on support despite him being in care home and he does have an operation coming up which will increase amount of time.

I'm 59 at the moment just in case that makes a difference.

I worked in a fairly specific sector previously and I have no doubt I would never be employed there again five years have passed and things have moved on. I have been applying for jobs but not in that sector. Its helped me sort out that actually what I really would like would be about 7 hours a week of work which would allow me to carry on supporting father.

I suppose I am most bothered about damage to pension after I was shafted by the retirement age being shifted and/or husband then dying before I get my pension.

I don't think it would do me any good to be forced into a scenario where I am getting sanctioned etc etc and of course that is what they want.
You can I believe top up your pension payments, l certainly did. Have a look at the pensions website. I paid a lump sum to bring me up to full pension.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Have you the appropriate skills that you could become self employed? That way your hours could be flexible.
I have been self employed for years, and had a High St business that I closed with 2 days notice when my OH became viciously ill and developed dementia. At the time I had about 70 ongoing projects, and my clients have been so very understanding, and none have minded waiting for me to be in a situation that I can conclude their work for them.

16 months later, and I am making rapid inroads into the back log, but also new work is coming in even though I am not advertising.

I am telling you this to give you an example of how flexible self employment can be, if you decide to give it a try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaronL