Signing for LPA

cake4tea

Jan 22, 2014
Hi

Our Mom has early stage Alzheimer's but can make decisions for herself, dress herself, wash herself etc. My sister and I are doing a lasting power of attorney for her, with her consent, but a friend has told me that Mom cannot sign it herself as she is diagnosed with Alzheimer's and wouldn't remember signing it later. it would therefore have to go through COP. Does anyone know if this is right?

sinkhole

Jan 28, 2015
Hi

Our Mom has early stage Alzheimer's but can make decisions for herself, dress herself, wash herself etc. My sister and I are doing a lasting power of attorney for her, with her consent, but a friend has told me that Mom cannot sign it herself as she is diagnosed with Alzheimer's and wouldn't remember signing it later. it would therefore have to go through COP. Does anyone know if this is right?

As long as she still has mental capacity she can sign it. That's not the same as being diagnosed as having AD.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
A diagnosis of Alzheimer's in itself does not prevent a person making an LPA.

The overriding criterion is that at the time of signing the donor fully understands what they are doing and it's consequences. This level of capacity is judged by the Certificate Provider.

Last edited:

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
When my OH was diagnosed officially he was already moderate/low severe with AD. He signed the LPA forms after a talk with the certificate provider who had been a close friend of Pete for nearly thirty years. He understood at the moment of signing. He wouldn't sign Welfare-only finance- so he was still capable of making his own choices

Take care

Lyn T

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breazkrissy