Signatures

Concerned J

Jun 15, 2014
London
Hi All,
I am just wondering when does a signature become invalid/unacceptable.

My Mum has not lost mental capacity but we do have POA registered.

This weekend my Uncle was filling out an attendance allowance form on Mum's behalf. Mum had to sign it in two places. The first one (having explained the in the box 2 or 3 times) she managed to sign/print her name as I spelt out each letter to her.
However the second signature looks like something my 3 year old could have attempted.

Hence my question - if Mum is unable to sign documents, will I (with POA) need to sign on her behalf.
I can't actually think of any instances where a signature is needed (all money out of cashpoint etc) but if she's asked to sign anything she'll be lost and probably go off on one of her sudden sulks that she prone to at the moment

Just thinking aloud really
Thank you
J

Moonflower

Mar 28, 2012
My mother wanted to sign cheques etc although we have POA activated. Eventually we got a letter from the bank saying that her signature had changed significantly and inviting her into branch to register a revised one. At this point she stopped signing stuff

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
My mother wanted to sign cheques etc although we have POA activated. Eventually we got a letter from the bank saying that her signature had changed significantly and inviting her into branch to register a revised one. At this point she stopped signing stuff

as we have poa my husband signed attendance allowance forms and had to send in POe document even thou the DOP man filled the form in at our house and saw form. we got it back . MIl did not have to sign anything