Signal to open bowels gone?

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Sorry, slightly hysterical in above post :eek:

It's just that having had a lovely couple of days living the life of Riley in Amsterdam, I am kind of dreading what I'll find when I get to mum's in an hour or two......:(

Well, to be brief, I found a dreadful aroma of a mixture of faeces and urine in mum's flat. She was so thrilled to see me after a break of five days, though, that I didn't have the heart to tackle the issue....other than to clean the bathroom, and give her some No Rinse wipes which she seemed to like.

So....back tomorrow with pads and a determination to sort something out. Practical and sensible, that's how I plan to be...:cool: xx

Tomjo

Oct 27, 2014
Going crazy?

Mum has had a constant cycle of constipation/diahorrhea since a hospital stay last April. I have tried

Laxido (movicol) = massive explosive diahorrhea followed by more constipation

Laxtilose plus Senna = whole day of diahorrhea followed by more constipation.

Lentil soup, bran in muesli, apple puree twice a day + cod liver oil tablet each day + all bran loaf instead of cake + pure orange juice and fruit salad after lunch. PLUS lactulose and senna.... = ??? massive poo last Tuesday and nothing since.

I think I am going crazy. I'm going to the doctor but I know they'll just prescribe more Laxido. Any suggestions? I don't live with mum but am usually there at least twice a day.

PS Has anyone else noticed strange smelling breath associated with constipation or am I imagining things? My mum's breath always smells of a sort of stale tobacco smell when she's bunged up. Not desperately unpleasant but quite noticeable and not nice.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Well, Tomjo, if you're going crazy, then so am I :p :eek:

My mum also suffers from intermittent constipation and loose stools ( not usually diarrhoea as such, though). She has to rush to the loo very often, and doesn't make it in time on a regular basis. Hence all the clearing up.....

I wouldn't, however, say she is incontinent. She still gets the feeling of needing to go, but can't keep herself clean in so doing. And....when she doesn't make it in time, and makes a mess on the floor, she's taken to 'hiding' the faeces in bags, which she then 'hides' in cupboards / under chairs etc. So we have a regular stint of a somewhat mucky game of hide and seek.....:(

Like you, I don't live with mum, and I think in my mum's case, the problem is partly down to her not drinking enough, partly that she doesn't eat enough fruit and veg, and partly that she has severe arthritis and is very slow in getting to the loo. I wonder whether any of these factors apply to your mum?

For us, they are complicated by the fact that mum a) doesn't recall hiding the poo, and b) is fast losing her sense of smell, which of course is a main element in what makes us want to keep ourselves and our environment clean.....

Mum was having a 'good day' yesterday, so I introduced pull-up pads, which she promised me she'd wear (though I wish we could actually solve the problem, rather than just containing it!) She also agreed that she couldn't smell her kitchen bins, which were ripe, so tomorrow I'll move on to her not being able to smell faeces...

Trouble is, I highly doubt she'll remember these conversations....but at least I'll know we had them, and that we did our best to manage ...

Oh and yes, I have definitely noticed the smell of constipation on mum's breath. It can't feel pleasant for her :(

Sorry I can't help, but at least we know we're not alone

Good luck Tomjo :)

Any advice / ideas will be much appreciated :)

Lindy xx

barny

Jan 20, 2006
Herts
Mum has had a constant cycle of constipation/diahorrhea since a hospital stay last April. I have tried

Lentil soup, bran in muesli, apple puree twice a day + cod liver oil tablet each day + all bran loaf instead of cake + pure orange juice and fruit salad after lunch. PLUS lactulose and senna.... = ??? massive poo last Tuesday and nothing since.

I think I am going crazy. I'm going to the doctor but I know they'll just prescribe more Laxido. Any suggestions? I don't live with mum but am usually there at least twice a day.

PS Has anyone else noticed strange smelling breath associated with constipation or am I imagining things? My mum's breath always smells of a sort of stale tobacco smell when she's bunged up. Not desperately unpleasant but quite noticeable and not nice.
Hi I had exactly the same scenario with my mum and the answer for me was linseeds. The continence nurse advised me to try them. It takes several weeks to establish a routine and at first it's a bit trial and error. Eventually I found that 2 dessert spoons in her morning weetabix made warm and sweet and mushy did the trick. Every day get up eat breakfast and then on the loo. Result every day. They are a natural gentle way to establish a routine.. Some people soak them in water overnight but I didn't do this with mum. Perhaps you could have a chat with your local continence team. Good luck.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West

You could experiment with the diet a bit more. E.g. the wheat bran could be replaced by oat bran. You could certainly try staying off the laxatives. And not going back to them even of things initially get worse. Hold your nerve! It's worth it. Another post mentions linseed which I know some people swear by it. At least it's natural.

Tomjo

Oct 27, 2014
continence team

I didn't know there was such a thing as a continence team - how would I contact them? Through the GP?

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I have linseeds but haven't been putting enough in and haven't been soaking them. I have been making mum apple puree to eat with her muesli and am wondering if I could successfully 'hide' linseeds in there?
Anyone tried this?

Lindy50 your circumstances sound similar to mine. Had a first poo hiding incident last week ... mum seemed to have no recollection .... I'm wondering if mum's been drinking enough and am checking really carefully. getting her to drink two mugs of water/tea while I am there in the evening. I'm going to get the baked beans out tomorrow. Watch this space!

Last edited:

Tomjo

Oct 27, 2014
Hiding poo

Lindy50

I had a first last week - enormous poo hidden in knickers at the end of the sofa ... mum seemed to recollect nothing... I think she may not have been drinking enough either. I am luck enough to live five minutes away and am there two or three times a day so think I am going to try linseeds and checking that she drinks plenty of water and see how we go.

Watch this space:(:)

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
It's so difficult isn't it, tomjo?

I live about half an hour from mum, which is close enough to call in every day, but too far to visit several times a day. So I do find it difficult to maintain her diet and fluid intake properly :(

One thing that puzzles me.....people have suggested linseeds on the cereal and then straight to the loo. How can they have such a quick effect?? Or am I missing something?

All the best

Lindy xx

Tomjo

Oct 27, 2014
No I don't understand how it can work that quickly either. You're right, it is difficult. I never thought my happiness would one day revolve around whether or not my mum had done a poo. Mind you I don't suppose she did either :) It would be such a relief to have her back into a good routine ... I'm going to try again with the linseeds etc. Part of mum's problem is that she'd been taking laxatives for years before she became ill, so I doubt she's had a natural routine for a very long time ...

Any more info about linseeds and going straight to the toilet would be appreciated ...:confused:

Thanks all.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
I don't think today's linseeds rush through :eek: it's yesterday's linseeds completing their journey. The digestive system is back in balance on a 24-hour cycle. The engine runs smoothly.

Wake up and have a wee (start the engine). Get dressed, move around (first gear). Eat and drink breakfast meal (2nd gear). Stand up, walk to toilet (third gear). Sit on toilet and urge to poo comes naturally (top gear). Thoughts of silly pompous middle aged men in jeans are optional at this point, whatever helps things along. :D

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
I don't think today's linseeds rush through :eek: it's yesterday's linseeds completing their journey. The digestive system is back in balance on a 24-hour cycle. The engine runs smoothly.

Wake up and have a wee (start the engine). Get dressed, move around (first gear). Eat and drink breakfast meal (2nd gear). Stand up, walk to toilet (third gear). Sit on toilet and urge to poo comes naturally (top gear). Thoughts of silly pompous middle aged men in jeans are optional at this point, whatever helps things along. :D

Thank you Katrine :D I'll keep this in mind! :D :D xx

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Thoughts of silly pompous middle aged men in jeans are optional at this point, whatever helps things along. :D

I suppose there may be women living with dementia who would find such thoughts helped them to 'perform' though perhaps not many.

As this is not, despite occasional appearances to the contrary, a females-only forum, what thoughts would similarly help a man living with dementia?

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Sorry if I was being too flippant. :eek: When I wrote 'Top Gear' I couldn't resist the comment. I can see that it wasn't helpful to you Stanley. It wasn't meant as an instruction to assist toileting, just a way of keeping the image of a car in mind by making a silly joke. :eek:. A sluggish digestive system is like a badly maintained engine; prone to stuttering, racing and stalling. With the right maintenance, and lubrication, the digestive system will operate more efficiently.

People still need assistance with toileting but, with luck and proper maintenance, the internal workings of the digestive machine will operate on a more predictable cycle. I think that's what this thread is about. I was responding to the query about whether linseeds had an 'instant effect' on the bowels.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
I suppose there may be women living with dementia who would find such thoughts helped them to 'perform' though perhaps not many.

As this is not, despite occasional appearances to the contrary, a females-only forum, what thoughts would similarly help a man living with dementia?

Good point stanleypj :)

As a female, I couldn't presume to know the answer :eek:

I'm sorry if you were offended by this banter, you are right to point out that banter can sometimes stray into sexism......and that as females we should be as aware of this as we would expect men to be

Lindy xx

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Thanks for your understanding Katrine and Lindy.

I must apologise that I missed the 'Top Gear' reference, but that puts a different complexion on it. I can now see what you were getting at and I can see that it might well work.:D

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Thanks Lindy and Stanley. :) It isn't the fact of them being men that is important, it's the way 'petrol heads' go on and on about the performance and appearance of cars. In my clumsy way I was saying that the simple aim is to get from A to BM on a daily basis.

Tomjo

Oct 27, 2014
Result!!!!!

RESULT!!!! The linseed / apple puree combo finally did the trick. I'm so happy !!!!!!:D

LolaJane

Jun 24, 2014
St aughustine fl
This is EXACTLY what my mother did. She would also sit on at a tilt--not directly on her butt, almost all the time. She said her butt hurt. We thought she had hemorrhoids. She had rubbed her bottom almost raw trying to get something out of there. She was so uncomfortable which led to unpleasantness, she went into a respite. There, it was discovered that she was impacted. Once that was cleared up and out, out it came! Since then, over a year ago, with the help of daily stool softeners, she goes easily most of the time. Impacted bowels can be VERY serious. If the problem persists, ask your GP about the possibility of impaction.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew Fargher