Sign our care homes petition and read the manifesto for change

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Not seen it before but will now sign

xxTinaT
ps Just done it but you need to go to second page on the link to find the petition itself.

Last edited:

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
I have signed the petition… though I am disappointed that it says nothing about rectifying the current system whereby those who have not spent all their wages are expected to pay more than their fair proportion of the health related costs of old age.

Clive

Last edited:

MarkEdge

Mar 24, 2009
London
. . . do we really agree with the section 'Our own homes'?

Hi all

Whilst I'd agree with most of the petition, do those who have signed up really agree with the section 'Our own homes' which reads:

"We don’t want to have to sell unless and until we have to. This means making plans well ahead of such an eventuality. Whenever it happens it is likely to be a traumatic event, so we need help in planning well ahead. Families need to be brought in to ease the transition, and someone sympathetic who will help to make the move less distressing."

This says nothing about the legal position as regards Continuing Care and in fact could be read as diluting the main principle of a 'primary health need'. For example, I don't agree with the sentence "This means making plans well ahead . . ." as this implies some sort of insurance (tax) to ensure that care home fees are funded in advance. Haven't our loved ones already paid tax to fund their care?

What does "Families need to be brought in to ease the transition" mean? That could be interpreted as implying that relatives of the patient should fund the cost of care in an interim period.

Sorry, but as good as the rest of this petition is, I'm not going to sign up to this as there are too many woolly thoughts on funding.

Mark

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Signed it a while back.
Caring, dignity and provision of quality accommodation for the elderly. Sounds good to me.