Side effects of Respiradone

Xeenies

May 19, 2014
Hello, I am keen to hear from others who have experience of their loved one being prescribed respiradone and the very common side effects. My dad has been prescribed it but mum and I are petrified as he reacted so badly to other anti psychotics. Thank you.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My OH showed no side affects at all that I know of. It's difficult to be sure because there is no way of knowing what would have happened anyway if he hadn't take it. He did start to lean to one side but that corrected itself although he still leans if he gets an infection so I couldn't be sure it was down to medication. What I will say tho' is, it evened out his anixiey and determination that he had to do impossible things and life has been quite bearable & even pleasurable since.

Xeenies

May 19, 2014
My OH showed no side affects at all that I know of. It's difficult to be sure because there is no way of knowing what would have happened anyway if he hadn't take it. He did start to lean to one side but that corrected itself although he still leans if he gets an infection so I couldn't be sure it was down to medication. What I will say tho' is, it evened out his anixiey and determination that he had to do impossible things and life has been quite bearable & even pleasurable since.
That’s really great to hear... we just want him to have a happy life and for people to want to be around him.. something we suspect is not the case at the moment :(

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
@Xeenies

My mum has been taking respiridone for 2 years and has not had any side effects, but it has defiantly helped with her agitation.

Xeenies

May 19, 2014
@Xeenies

My mum has been taking respiridone for 2 years and has not had any side effects, but it has defiantly helped with her agitation.[/QUOTE
@Xeenies

My mum has been taking respiridone for 2 years and has not had any side effects, but it has defiantly helped with her agitation.

Great to hear, thank you. What about what it says on the NHS website? Says shouldn’t be used for more than 6 weeks???

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Mum has been monitored by her GP and the memory clinic during this time and it is only a low dose.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My OH has been on it for almost a year. He spent the first 12 weeks of this year in hospital and I asked a couple of times about it not being given long term but they weren't concerned at all. I've since asked our doctor and the nurse practitioner and neither of them are concerned either. He is also a lower dose than given for antipsychotic reasons.

Xeenies

May 19, 2014
Thank you for letting me know, it’s all just so scary. Dads been in hospital for 14 weeks now :(

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Xeenies, no direct experience of Risperidone (yet). The memory clinic where mum used to live prescribed this sight unseen for her last year. As mum lived alone with no help coming in, was forgetting to take her other medication and has a history of spectacular adverse reactions to various drugs I wasn't keen on her taking it and her GP agreed.
She is now in a care home and the new GP and new memory clinic have assessed her regarding starting her on something for her anxiety and distress. From what I've heard here risperidone seems to work well for most people who try it. I just hope it (or something else) works for my mum.

Xeenies

May 19, 2014
Hi @Xeenies, no direct experience of Risperidone (yet). The memory clinic where mum used to live prescribed this sight unseen for her last year. As mum lived alone with no help coming in, was forgetting to take her other medication and has a history of spectacular adverse reactions to various drugs I wasn't keen on her taking it and her GP agreed.
She is now in a care home and the new GP and new memory clinic have assessed her regarding starting her on something for her anxiety and distress. From what I've heard here risperidone seems to work well for most people who try it. I just hope it (or something else) works for my mum.
Thank you for this. Are they going to try her in Respiradone? Please do let me know if they mention something better?

Ohso

Jan 4, 2018
My mum was prescribed this on her discharge from hospital last year and oh goodness what a change, she previously had been anxious, suspicious and paranoid, the medication really helped.
After about 6 months she began sleeping more and more and when I mentioned it I was told this might be the Rispiridone, but I wasn't convinced as she had been on it for 6 months before the sleepiness hit.

Following a visit to the Dementia consultant he explained that the ( NICE, I think he mentioned) guideline was to only keep someone on it short term without trying to stop, due to the adverse side effects and long term problems it might cause, as you can imagine I wasn't very keen however he said if she began showing the same behaviour we could review it, she was then weaned off it over a period of 4 weeks....the hope was that the dementia phase that caused the anxiety had passed and we would only know once she was off it.

Anyway, as I feared she declined, ok, she was awake more, but all her waking hours were filled with fear, fear of not being safe and not having enough food, some days she would eat constantly having forgotten she had eaten only minutes before, I could barely keep up with it, she would go downstairs in the middle of the night looking for food/the way out/how to get off the boat ( ?) talking non stop and generally agitated and miserable, ( me too) I began thinking she might have to go into a home as I couldn't cope with her long term if this was how she was going to be.

After only a couple of weeks I asked for the review and it was decided to put her back on it, and has been on it since, she has gone back to sleeping most of the day and only occasionally has moments of anxiety, but overall she feels safe and I can manage. The consultant is happy for her to be on it too as now he can justify her being kept on it long term.

When they weaned her off it they also added memantine, at first I thought this was helping but after only a couple of weeks I changed my opinion and dont feel it has made any difference and on her next review I will ask them if it is worth keeping her on it as she is occasionally struggling to swallow so less tablets must be better.

I would have no reservations of saying try it, it made such a huge difference to mum x

Xeenies

May 19, 2014
My mum was prescribed this on her discharge from hospital last year and oh goodness what a change, she previously had been anxious, suspicious and paranoid, the medication really helped.
After about 6 months she began sleeping more and more and when I mentioned it I was told this might be the Rispiridone, but I wasn't convinced as she had been on it for 6 months before the sleepiness hit.

Following a visit to the Dementia consultant he explained that the ( NICE, I think he mentioned) guideline was to only keep someone on it short term without trying to stop, due to the adverse side effects and long term problems it might cause, as you can imagine I wasn't very keen however he said if she began showing the same behaviour we could review it, she was then weaned off it over a period of 4 weeks....the hope was that the dementia phase that caused the anxiety had passed and we would only know once she was off it.

Anyway, as I feared she declined, ok, she was awake more, but all her waking hours were filled with fear, fear of not being safe and not having enough food, some days she would eat constantly having forgotten she had eaten only minutes before, I could barely keep up with it, she would go downstairs in the middle of the night looking for food/the way out/how to get off the boat ( ?) talking non stop and generally agitated and miserable, ( me too) I began thinking she might have to go into a home as I couldn't cope with her long term if this was how she was going to be.

After only a couple of weeks I asked for the review and it was decided to put her back on it, and has been on it since, she has gone back to sleeping most of the day and only occasionally has moments of anxiety, but overall she feels safe and I can manage. The consultant is happy for her to be on it too as now he can justify her being kept on it long term.

When they weaned her off it they also added memantine, at first I thought this was helping but after only a couple of weeks I changed my opinion and dont feel it has made any difference and on her next review I will ask them if it is worth keeping her on it as she is occasionally struggling to swallow so less tablets must be better.

I would have no reservations of saying try it, it made such a huge difference to mum x
Thank you for this. But I worry about your comment that she sleeps all day? Is that the strong sedative effect? That’s the last thing we want for my dad, he has so much life left in him :(

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
@ Ohso if they recommend staying on it, you can get a dissolvable form of memantine. I asked for it for my OH as he struggles with tablets, but not all Drs like to prescribe it as it is expensive.

Hellyg

Nov 18, 2014
Midlands
My husband is on it and it has made such a difference in terms of his OCD behaviour and also his anxiety and aggression.

In terms of side effects - his is more apathetic and definitely sleeps a lot more.

As other have said I have had conversations with his consultant and despite any risks (which I believe are increased risk of strokes) we have decided the benefits out weight the risks.

The benefits being he is able to remain at home for longer, I was at the point I could not have continued care. He is happier and more content, all the fear and anxiety has gone. Therefore I coping a lot better and provide better care.

My husband has early onset dementia so realistically will have reduced life expectancy anyway, my main aims are to keep him as happy as possible and for me to remain sane so I can continue to care for him and work to earn the money we need to live.

Xeenies

May 19, 2014
My husband is on it and it has made such a difference in terms of his OCD behaviour and also his anxiety and aggression.

In terms of side effects - his is more apathetic and definitely sleeps a lot more.

As other have said I have had conversations with his consultant and despite any risks (which I believe are increased risk of strokes) we have decided the benefits out weight the risks.

The benefits being he is able to remain at home for longer, I was at the point I could not have continued care. He is happier and more content, all the fear and anxiety has gone. Therefore I coping a lot better and provide better care.

My husband has early onset dementia so realistically will have reduced life expectancy anyway, my main aims are to keep him as happy as possible and for me to remain sane so I can continue to care for him and work to earn the money we need to live.
Thank you so much for this. My dad got it early too. Around ages 64. We noticed more around 66 and he was diagnosed around 3/4 years ago. He’s 72 now. It’s heart breaking, it’s one thing dealing with dementia when your parent is 80 or90 but another thing when he’s so young. I feel like he’s missed out on so much. I hope your husband is ok x