Side effects of donepezil (aricept)

Iilaclady1001

May 14, 2021
Mum was diagnosed a week ago with mixed dementia and prescribed donepezil 5mg. One of the side effects she is experiencing is body tremors that frighten her along with breathing difficulties, constant belching, low mood, feeling of doom, lethargic etc. I’m of the mind that no pain no gain and the benefits would be to have her as she was a week ago rather than deteriorate quickly over the next 6 months.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Iilaclady1001
a warm welcome to DTP

those symptoms sound to be distressing your mum, so best to let her GP and consultant know now .... donepezil doesn't suit everyone and there may be an alternative that your mum will tolerate better
it may also be worth asking about something to help her mood too

SEA SPRAY

Apr 10, 2021
Hi @lilaclady1001. My husband has recently been diagnosed with mild alzheimers. The consultant planned to prescribe Donepezil, but due his high level of fitness he has a very low pulse rate. This would have made Donepezil unsuitable for him. Instead, he has been prescribed Memantine. So far, there have been no side effects.

Iilaclady1001

May 14, 2021
The consultant has advised to stop the meds and see if symptoms go away or stay the same over the weekend. She went to bed at 7.45 last night exhausted and has slept all night (still sleeping) with no issues during the night at all, so it has to be the meds

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It disagreed with my husband too @Iilaclady1001 and the side effects were very upsetting.

This medication doesn`t agree with everyone but we can only try because it has helped so many people.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Hi @lilaclady1001 and a warm welcome from me too. I was very lucky as Donepezl was like a miracle drug for my partner and removed almost all of her temper swings and rapid mood changes and no side affects at all. But we know it can have lots of different side affects , good luck in getting sorted.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Iilaclady1001
really pleased the consultant listened to you and that your mum seems better after stopping the meds ... maybe something different eg memantine might help her

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear @lilaclady,

I think that the GP and doctors need to check your mum's other medicines as well just in case they reacting together.

MaNaAk

human4

Jun 15, 2021
Hi @lilaclady1001 and a warm welcome from me too. I was very lucky as Donepezl was like a miracle drug for my partner and removed almost all of her temper swings and rapid mood changes and no side affects at all. But we know it can have lots of different side affects , good luck in getting sorted.
may i know what is donezepil dose for your partner? i want to know if my dad has been prescribed right dose and to get an idea as to what is max dose? thanks...

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
may i know what is donezepil dose for your partner? i want to know if my dad has been prescribed right dose and to get an idea as to what is max dose? thanks...

My husband started on 5mg and was put up to 10mg after a while. I believe 10mg is the highest dose. This gives some information on the drugs for dementia.

human4

Jun 15, 2021
thanks you Izzy for sharing your knowledge and i m v happy to get this link about doses from u. v kind of u...

human4

Jun 15, 2021
the medicine link cleared my doubt about max dose. max dose seems to be 10 mg. thanks...

Lally

Jun 30, 2021
My husband started on donepezil but it gave him vivid and disturbing dreams. He’s now on Rivastigmine 4.5 msg x 2 a day. Seems to suit him better but along with other meds for neuropathic pain and anti inflammatories (following spinal surgery 2 years ago) now has to take 5 capsules at a time. He’s in the early stages, mainly short term memory, no behaviour issues.

kelvin50

Aug 14, 2021
hi there, my mum just been diagnosed and 6 weeks in with Donepezil.
she started with reminiscing dreams but thankfully they have stopped....however when wakes up in the morning her head is very hot and sweaty.

is this normal or should i contact the demential clinic on Monday?

thanks
kelvin

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @kelvin50

My dad had vivid dreams on Donepezil which he confused for reality but I don’t remember it causing sweating. I think it’s worth contacting the clinic if you have any worries about your mum’s medication. Better to be safe than sorry!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife