side effects aricept

keegie

May 27, 2008
carmarthenshire
Today is the second day of my mother taking aricept 5mg, she took it with food but about an hour later she has been violently sick, yesterday she was fine after her first one. Is this normal and will it continue after every tablet? She is refusing to take anymore what can I do?

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
My Mum had no side effects at all. Sorry i know that's not a lot of help, just one persons experience. Hope you find a solution.

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Keegie,
If I was in your position (my husband had no side effects on Aricept) but contaqcting the Doctor who prescribed the drug would be must approach.
Best wishes
Christine

LittleVera

May 27, 2008
Oxon
My mother had no physical side effects but I found she was more agressive while taking aricept. If you read the leaflet in the packet the list of possible side effects is huge. I would speak with your doctor but persevere if you can as if your mother responds well to the medication it could really help.

LittleVera

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Keegie

As the others have said, there can be side-effects from any of the AD drugs, that's why people are started on a low dose.

I'd suggest you ring the consultant first thing in the morning and explain what has happened. I wouldn't give your mum any more until you've spoken to him.

Of course, it could be something unconnected with the medication, but it needs checking.

Let us know how you get on.

Squibbs

May 13, 2008
Portsmouth, England
My father has been on Aricept for a week now and has been poorly since he started taking them - in the advice sheet enclosed with the tablets it warns of various side effects which it says they should wear off so we have persevered but today I am taking him to the doctor. He has not vomited like your mother but he has very shakey hands, weak legs, breathless and more confused than before he started taking them. He says his head hurts and things are moving around in his brain and that his throat 'feels funny'. I'll let you know what the doctor says later!

Squibbs

May 13, 2008
Portsmouth, England
I am now back from the doctor visit. Of course my father seemed a lot better today!! The doctor checked him over and has advised him to continue taking the Aricept - he feels the 'side effects' are now wearing off. It's difficult to know if these symptoms would have occurred even if he had not started on the Aricept - just another deterioration we should expect. I am glad I talked it over with the doctor though - at least if and when things got worse he would have had an update !

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Hi Keegie

My mum has a sensitive stomach, having had a peptic ulcer in the past.
When she was first prescribed Aricept, our doctor also gave her a 'buffering' medication called Omeprazole gastro-resistant capsules, which provide protection to the stomach.
Mum had no nausea from Aricept, and has just increased her dosage from 5mg to 10mg per day, again with no problem. She takes her meds. after her evening meal. After food may be the best time to take the Aricept.

Hope this info. may be helpful.

Best wishes

88alli

Jan 11, 2007
Cumbria.England
Side-effects of Aricept (Donepezil)

Hi
Aricept can have a number of side-effects, including nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea. MIL was on 10mg dose but because she has low blood pressure and a weak heart her dose had to be halved. She had been on 10mg for a year, but her blood pressure was extremely low. By halving the dose it has stabalised a little.
No two people are alike and can react very differently to certain medication. I would contact the doctor regarding your concerns. There are other medications which may be more suitable.
Hope you find help.
Take care, chin-up!!
Love Diane

jean@beatyjean.

May 29, 2008
Anglesea in Wales
time to take aricept

Hi Lynne. I have just read your post and wondered if you knew that the best time to take Aricept is ,as far as I am aware, in the morning. I was told that by the consultant who is treating my husband. I know that it is a stimulant from reading postings on the American Alzheimers site. Having said that , as long as your mother is O.K. on an evening dose then I suppose it doesn't really matter Regards, Jean.

LizzieS

May 25, 2008
Somerset
My Mum was advised to take the Aricept with her evening meal and, to date, she has not suffered any side effects, thank the Lord! This drug has definitely helped her.

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
I replied yesterday but for some reason it wouldn't add so trying again this morning.

When my husband took Aricept 5mg the first time he was violently sick and then fine with subsequent doses when it was increased to 10mg also ok.

His consultant advised he took it just before bedtime (this was when he reviewed him 1 week after starting on it) and and that is what we did with no problems. He was on it over two years with good results.

Linda x

gillianw

May 17, 2008
Aricept side effects

Hi Keegie
My mam takes Aricept she started on 5mg then shortly was put up to 10mg .
She has taken this for some time now with out this drug her quility of life would have been much worse we do believe that it's helped to slow down the illness.
Only time will tell as she has taken it for about 7 years ( i thk ) things have been getting worse lately.

Gillianw

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Yes we were advised before bedtime When D came out of hospital 3 weeks ago they said Aricept in the morning, but I felt this was just not right for him.
For us taking it at bedtime has caused no side effects at all.

I think we all have to find the best route for us. Fpr your sake I do hope the side effects are not permanent.

Love Jan

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Hello Keegie,

Dee, my wife tried Aricept and had diarrhoea the day after taking it - several tries. The consultant tried Reminyl and that was OK but Dee started to refuse to take the capsules.

Although Dee has now just started being in care, the clinic offered a new liquid drug. Have forgotten the name but will ask tommorow when I go to see her.

Best wishes,

gerrie ley

Apr 10, 2006
bradford yorkshire
aricept

Hi Keegie
My wife Mollie has been on 10mg Aricept for 7years and four months taken each morning before breakfast and has had no ill effects.I would suggest to you that you take it day by day as no two people are alike.This brings me to the question Aricept or not as the end is the same and Aricept only delays the outcome with an awful lot of pain for the carer I love my wife of fifty five years very dearly and last month was the first week I have had away from her in all this time. I have to admit shamedly that sometimes I wish she hadnt started with Aricept.Some consultants wont prescribe the drug with that in mind.I read Anne Robinsons autobiography whilst I was away and in the book she described Alzheimers as being LIVING BEREAVEMENT as her mother had this devils disease.I thought what a perfect description.I know all of you starting off on the horrible journey will want the best and hope for your loved ones. Believe me its misconceived and even now I could cut my hands off for printing it. I am in a living hell most of the time and its getting worse the odd times Mollie is normal are getting fewer today has been bad even her S/S who was on her three weekly visit left early. What a dilemmer we are all in Aricept or not the choice is ours I wish you all the luck in the world Keegie and I really do mean that

Love to you and yours Gerrie Ley carer

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Keegie,

I have no experience with Aricept, my husband takes Reminyl..has now been on tne maximum dose for about 18 months..no side effects at all. It does seem that everyone reacts differently, which is difficult as it makes taking drugs to quell the symptoms a bit of a hit and miss affair. Talk to the doctor who prescribed them if you are concerned.

My understanding of any of these drugs is that they do not prolong the disease..if they work they purely "mask" the symptoms for a time..that time is not predictable..again it depends on the individual.

Gerrie..I'm sorry you're having such a rotten time at the moment..Alzheimers is not an easy ride..we would not wish it on our worst enemies.
Have you thought of posting seperately with your concerns? As an experienced carer you may be able to help others in similar situations...hope I don't offend by suggesting this..

Love gigi xx

gerrie ley

Apr 10, 2006
bradford yorkshire
Hello Keegie,

I have no experience with Aricept, my husband takes Reminyl..has now been on tne maximum dose for about 18 months..no side effects at all. It does seem that everyone reacts differently, which is difficult as it makes taking drugs to quell the symptoms a bit of a hit and miss affair. Talk to the doctor who prescribed them if you are concerned.

My understanding of any of these drugs is that they do not prolong the disease..if they work they purely "mask" the symptoms for a time..that time is not predictable..again it depends on the individual.

Gerrie..I'm sorry you're having such a rotten time at the moment..Alzheimers is not an easy ride..we would not wish it on our worst enemies.
Have you thought of posting seperately with your concerns? As an experienced carer you may be able to help others in similar situations...hope I don't offend by suggesting this..

Love gigi xx
Good morning gigi thanks for your views we are all in the dark with alzheimers even consultants cant agree some advise aricept in the morning some in the evening Mollies consultant says. aricept slows the condition down your information is that it masks it. Mollies consultant says that without aricept Mollie would be in a vegetable state after seven years so who is right there doesnt seem to be a logical explanation for anything to do with Alzheimers. As regards to posting my experiences with Mollie I will consider doing it I had in the past, like when I advised Kalms to get a nights sleep these pills still work with Mollie most of the time. I dont read the postings too often but when I do I usually find a carer in a worse position than I am in and I think to myself stop moaning and get on with it and think yourself lucky All the best and my love from Gerrie X