sicut animam suam : 'it's just life'

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I recently switched energy suppliers and got a shock this weekend with an estimated bill of £1017.00. I can't enter up to date readings to correct it and have paid this now, does anyone know how to sort this out as I can't seem to match my usage with their estimated bill??
give them the readings now and ask for an exact bill and not an estimated one. ive done that and did save some money. their estimates can be way out.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
give them the readings now and ask for an exact bill and not an estimated one. ive done that and did save some money. their estimates can be way out.
Hopefully you have a record of the actual readings when you switched suppliers? You could then work out your usage against the current readings and send both readings to the new company. This happened to me when I switched but was sorted fairly quickly once I showed them the photo I had taken of the meter with the previous company. I didn’t pay the bill though until I was given a correct one - in fact, I ended up in credit!

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
It’s wonderful. I do love hearing bagpipes. One year when on holiday in Ilfracombe a man was playing the bagpipes standing on the cliff edge across the bay & it resonated around the whole area. I’ve loved the sound since then.
Yes it is a wonderful sound, I'll never forget waking up to them army style -long time ago now though.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I look after my 80 year old mother who has dementia. She is a bloody nightmare but then she was a nightmare before she had dementia!
I was recently taken into hospital with what seemed like psychosis. However it has now been found to have been a mini stroke caused probably by severe stress. I am trying to be kinder to myself but it definitely doesn't come easy to me. Guilt is my middle name and I never feel like I'm doing enough. Sadly the people around me never make me feel like I'm doing enough even though I give everything I have to keep everyone happy. My mum lives with my dad who is really struggling with all the psychological changes. I take mum out every day and try to give dad a break but it's never enough. I sort out their appointments, medication, etc, etc. I was living with them and have had to temporarily move out but will be going back soon. During the time I have been away ( approx 2 months ) my father has suddenly started treating me with respect whereas before he took me so much for granted. I think my emergency hospital visit has shaken him into realising that I am not invincible. Hopefully when I get back to living with them he will be kinder to me.
Its very hard to be kind to ourselves when we want to d the best by our parents or partner, but it does teach us a lesson when it happens to re-think the whole situation not just part of it. The day I ended up in resus and having my heart shocked was that point, not to mention in the same place I work in, my colleagues serve as a constant reminder to leave a little for ourselves.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Last night I finally got to see my mum after so long and having missed Christmas. No significant change, though I noticed the diuretics aren't working anymore and her legs are a mess, but there isn't much that can be done. I chuckled as mum munched her way through 4 mini battenberg cakes and then proceeded to eat some of her aftereights, putting the empty wrappers back in the box. I've noticed more and more agancy carers who seem less engaging and I wonder what activity mum gets sometimes, even if its just putting classic FM for her -but it seems to be a common probably in most but not all places. The staff seem to turn over quite quickly now.

I don't know what to think sometimes when I leave and see my mum just staring silebtly and wonder what is she thinking. I said I would see her on Thursday which seemed to rally her and I actually got a kiss goodbye -till next time.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
It's so sad that she's not your feisty mum anymore. But it sounds like a 'good' visit and I'm glad you finally got to see her. It's a twilight existence, isn't it? At least her appetite is still there - and you know just what she likes!

P.S. I put the After Eight wrappers back in the box too. It's a foolish belief that no one will realise how many I've eaten...

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
I remember, about 12 years ago Pauline and I visited her eldest sister in a nursing come having been told by her children that she recognised no one and was comatose most of the time. When we entered her room we saw this shrivelled almost skin and bone figure slumped in an arm chair with oxygen tubes up her nostrils. Very gently Pauline laid her hand on her sisters and said, ‘Hiya Nell.’ Almost instantly Nell’s eyes opened, she smiled and replied, “Hello our Pauline what are you doing all the way up here,” she then recognised me and within minutes was asking about her MP, Tony Blair, and was I still involved in politics. An amazing and final visit and the sight of her standing at the window smiling and waving is still remembered even by Pauline who will recite it whenever Nell is mentioned.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
It's so sad that she's not your feisty mum anymore. But it sounds like a 'good' visit and I'm glad you finally got to see her. It's a twilight existence, isn't it? At least her appetite is still there - and you know just what she likes!

P.S. I put the After Eight wrappers back in the box too. It's a foolish belief that no one will realise how many I've eaten...
Mmm I am not sure if it is an existence of being weary and tired, but how can we ever know what the experience really is like? But yes a better visit than many before in some respects, but then we learn not to have high expectations as time goes by. Its interesting that once upon a time it was me that used to get a telling off for putting the wrappers back in the Aftereights box :oops:. Simplicity is the way to go though as mum saw the Battenberg cake box and the Aftereight box her eyes lit up and she commented on them being her favourites, though conversation was hard she managed to express her delight at the goodies. The first phrase was jumbled when I walked through the door, but it had my name in it -so some recognition just unfortunate it's all jumbled up speech.

Were you ever guilty of eating all the soft centres, something I used to do and annoy mum because she would try to save them till last -oh well now she has them all to herself

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I remember, about 12 years ago Pauline and I visited her eldest sister in a nursing come having been told by her children that she recognised no one and was comatose most of the time. When we entered her room we saw this shrivelled almost skin and bone figure slumped in an arm chair with oxygen tubes up her nostrils. Very gently Pauline laid her hand on her sisters and said, ‘Hiya Nell.’ Almost instantly Nell’s eyes opened, she smiled and replied, “Hello our Pauline what are you doing all the way up here,” she then recognised me and within minutes was asking about her MP, Tony Blair, and was I still involved in politics. An amazing and final visit and the sight of her standing at the window smiling and waving is still remembered even by Pauline who will recite it whenever Nell is mentioned.
Yes, sadly due to the lack of visits its become harder, but its reassuring to hear words of recognition. Your phrase above reminds me so much of how my mum and also grandmother was -its just how they would greet if surprised. I will never forget when I got a call to go in to the home because they thought mum was going to pass and walked into her room and sat by her bed. She put her hand on my mine and knew exactly who I was and said 'I've missed you our Simon' -since then its been a rollercoaster ride, but yes, we should try to remember more the things that make our loved ones unique and special. Thanks @Agzy

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Tomorrow is another day and I have another visit at 2pm. Some of my colleagues can't grasp how this is important to me, but what they don't understand is how important this is to my mum. Its not easy any of it nor is the range of emotion I experience in a day, but there is no solution, only to endure this disease in the best ray of light we can.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Mmm I am not sure if it is an existence of being weary and tired, but how can we ever know what the experience really is like? But yes a better visit than many before in some respects, but then we learn not to have high expectations as time goes by. Its interesting that once upon a time it was me that used to get a telling off for putting the wrappers back in the Aftereights box :oops:. Simplicity is the way to go though as mum saw the Battenberg cake box and the Aftereight box her eyes lit up and she commented on them being her favourites, though conversation was hard she managed to express her delight at the goodies. The first phrase was jumbled when I walked through the door, but it had my name in it -so some recognition just unfortunate it's all jumbled up speech.

Were you ever guilty of eating all the soft centres, something I used to do and annoy mum because she would try to save them till last -oh well now she has them all to herself
I was guilty of the worse crime - sneaking one from the bottom layer before the top layer was finished. Even if there were only the horrid ones left. Definitely not allowed in our house!

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
In the deepest depths of my own emotion here is something that explains in my mind where I am at. I know all of the romantacists but this short piece is not just about emotion for me, it is also about where I am now. It is a tauntingly subtle piece of music that when we look around us and listen to it stirs up many past memories and no doubt feeling......so here is for me a life long piece of almost iterative music from my childhood till now:

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Well I have to sleep but here is a wonderful and very rare version of Handels Ombra Ma. what is special about this version is that it is sung by a counter tenor and not a soprano, which these days is a very rare occurrance as few counter tenors will come forward to sing publicly due to the stereotyping of the singing voice. In all certainty many choirs were of mixed sex and often the high pitch singers were men with alto women. So to change many current day thinkers here is a wonderful example of a counter tenor singing a soprano part

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Well today I got to see mum again, afternoon visit and bless her she was partially snoozing but woke when she heard my voice. I took two raspberry and almond bakes from Costa (the usual cake I take as its her biggest absolute fave) and she ate them both. It took awhile for her to catch up, but I could see her illicit memory kicked in and there was again an association and mum chatted, though I have no idea what she was trying to tell me. What bothers me now as I have noticed this becoming more frequent is the lostness in her eyes and sometimes an emotional pain I can't quite fathom but it certainly leaves me feeling an element of despair and triggers an emotional drive home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max69