sicut animam suam : 'it's just life'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Happy birthday @Palerider Have some cake ?
happy birthday cake.jpg

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Thanks to those who sent birthday wishes. The birthday afternoon was long winded and once again my desk is becoming covered and cluttered in research papers books and draughts of single paragraphs after vowing not to progress to PhD a few years ago and this is only the start of a long new journey.

Last weekend I cooked my first roast dinner since Nov 2019, I haven't been able to do this since mum went into care as it was her fave meal and one of the few meals she would actually eat. I am repeating this weekend as I have grown tired of the alternatives having over used them. Cooking for one I think is the hardest thing after cooking for many, though I have resisted the use of take-outs.

Mum is in a steady state of decline at the moment but there is no doubt she is hanging on by a thread, how she is doing this I just don't know. I still can't believe her ability and drive to walk even though she can't actually 'walk'

I am back at work and have decided that I need to move over to older peoples care as my interests have changed significantly and no doubt my mum and my own experience has influenced that. Besides the acute work is getting too much now as I have exhausted any resilliance I had left for working in pressured environments. Luckily our frailty team have asked rather than me asking, which makes it all so much easier to move over. I always knew I would do this at some point as I got older myself and now is the right time to do it justice.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I forgot to say I am no longer going to use the term 'dementia' because this is not an accurate term. Dementia was actually recategorised back in 2013 by the American DSM-V as neurocognitive disorder (NCD) and they further subdivided this to Mild NCD and Major NCD. There are many causes of NCD and pathways and the term 'dementia' over simplifies the condition as well as stigmatising those who have NCD.

NCD recognises the distinction between cognitve abilities and functional abilities and that the two can be mutually exclusive.

So the suffix is NCD and the prefix explains the physical pathology, for example my mum doesn't have dementia anymore she has Alzheimer's Neurocognitive Disorder (ANCD), further she has developed Major Alzheimer's Neurocognitive Disorder (MANCD)

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
That is so spooky. That came up on my Spotify last night. I had never heard of Mumford and Sons but I really liked it. Now I open DTP and there it is again. This line from the lyrics made me think of DTP - As brothers we will stand and we'll hold your hand

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
That is so spooky. That came up on my Spotify last night. I had never heard of Mumford and Sons but I really liked it. Now I open DTP and there it is again. This line from the lyrics made me think of DTP - As brothers we will stand and we'll hold your hand
Yup thats what I thought too

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
Yes, it is lovely.
Reminds me of someone who once posted on here, that she imagined us all, silently holding hands through all this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB2CAN