sicut animam suam : 'it's just life'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I don't know what others think, but that was a beautiful funeral. The Duke had great taste in music and I loved each of the pieces, but then I listen to a lot of chant and chorale works anyway. He did live a priveleged life and had a very priveleged funeral, but with that said I think he made his plans well.

It remimded me of the day of dads funeral, he was after all a military man and some of the music we had at dads funera was reflected todayl. But above all else was my mum sat at the front in the church and the crem and the pain she felt when the penny dropped as we walked out was immense. In the end it doesn't matter who we are, when we are loved and lossed it is a painful thing to have to let go

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
I think that the queen was very brave. Having been in her shoes I could not have done it without support.
It was a beautiful service and even my mum enjoyed it, though if I had a £ for every time I told her where the coffin was, I would be a rich lady and mum would be poor!!

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
it was sad to see the Queen having to sit on her own. but it was good that the camera maintained her dignity and the other family members by not zooming camera in their faces.it was very dignified and all the titles he held, didnt know there were so many.the other lonely figure was Prince Andrew

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
My biggest tribute is to the qaurtet of singers, they were amazingly good and to perform so well live at such an occasion made my heart swell. They were brilliant performers when it mattered and their music shone out

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My biggest tribute is to the qaurtet of singers, they were amazingly good and to perform so well live at such an occasion made my heart swell. They were brilliant performers when it mattered and their music shone out

I totally agree. I thought that they were magnificent. I also thought the lone piper playing The Flooers O The Forest was very moving.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I agree with @Palerider the quartet of singers were brilliant. The bit that got me was ‘I vow to thee my country’ , it left me choking the sobs. I love Eternal Father and have already asked for it to be sung at my own funeral, whenever that might be!

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
They were the highlight for me too (if a funeral can have highlights...!) I loved the pieces they sang and thought their voices blended so well. I think they made far more impact than a full choir would have done.

The rest - yes, pretty good over all, could have done without all the bugling but loved the landrover! Wonder if I could hire it for mine? (Together with that fancy venue they chose...!)

No peacocks though - I want peacocks.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Definitely good luck. Is it a long interview and do you have to do lots of preparation ?

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Definitely good luck. Is it a long interview and do you have to do lots of preparation ?
Senior interviews aren't something you can prepare for, because you should already know it because you are doing it. Its 30 mins, so answers have to be targeted and succinct. I had an informal visit today which went well, so I suspect my thinking and their thinking is aligned -thats all I can say

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Be prepared for the USP (unique selling point) question -'why should we appoint you in preference to the other candidates?' , a nice blank canvas.

Good luck.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
They were the highlight for me too (if a funeral can have highlights...!) I loved the pieces they sang and thought their voices blended so well. I think they made far more impact than a full choir would have done.

The rest - yes, pretty good over all, could have done without all the bugling but loved the landrover! Wonder if I could hire it for mine? (Together with that fancy venue they chose...!)

No peacocks though - I want peacocks.
I think the bugle and trumpets was to mask the last of the coffin sinking into the vault -essentially to give grace to those immediate which was in no finer feckle as I love to hear them anyway in all their splendid colour and uniform.

I am not so sure about Flowers of the Forrest being piped @Izzy, because this is now held in respect of lives lost at war or battle, however he did pipe well and I hope he received his dram

Edited: because of my awful quick typing

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It’s a tune that is frequently played at funerals here but I know it is a battlefield lament.

I discovered yesterday that my friend, who was Bill’s carer, was at school with one of the buglers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson