sicut animam suam : 'it's just life'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m sorry you’re having a bad time just now @Palerider. I don’t know the answer to the flashbacks question but I do know I have times when I have them. I think living alone gives my mind time to wander into them.

Good luck with refining your doctoral application.

I loved these Hamlet ads. The actor, Gregor Fisher, used to be in our local Rep company in the days before he became famous.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Thanks everyone

I think I know what you mean @Izzy with the flashbacks, happens when I am on my own and I can sit for a little while drifting off into them. They are not unpleasant, but they catch me by surprise, things I had forgotten completely. Maybe its a self preservation thing or self comfort thing -I don't know.

I am now pretty much on my own. The BIL has withdrawn into a world of his own completely, no more phone calls or chat. I try to keep the channels open but he doesn't seem to grasp the door swings both ways and I can't be there all the time, I have work and a whole load of things I have to do living alone as there is no one else to do them and of course there is mum which takes the best part of a day to organise and visit. I don't know what else to do other than keep on passing by when I can and stay for a few hours, but any invitation to come to mine for an evening and have a break from the house fills him with dread I think -almost as if he is cocooned, protected by his own four walls. I know how easy it is to fall into that and even harder to climb out. It takes time and I think things are still raw with him.

My brother and his family have abandoned us all completely. Nothing to break the silence and nothing in terms of mum. It is perhaps best that way.

Indeed @Grannie G I think you are right I am in another state of limbo and there is no control over these things, we just have to go with it.

I have decided to retire at 60, which gives six more years, in which time I want to complete the PhD. After that I have decided I will move to Swansea and spend time with an old friend. I am glad I stayed here for now, but over the last 6 months I have begun to realise there is nothing left here now, even though I once though being close to home is what I wanted. I will stay here until mum declares that its time and then who knows what will come next -another adventure

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Well today is an odd day and TV is dire. I am cooking a beef ragu as close to the Itlaian recipe that I can, ready for my pasta -pity dad's not here he would have loved a bowl full.

I'll be honest and say I feel very lost right now, and I don't even know why I write on TP sometimes as so many of us have more infinitely difficult problems to deal with. I keep on wishing things would change, that none of this was happening, but of course we all have to be mature about this and accept it -so we are told. The emotional pain I feel at the moment is overwhelming and I can picture my mum being upset that this is how I feel now. As much as I will do everything I can I have to say the system casts the carers to one side, we are useful for only one thing -saving the state from any responsibility in this god awful mess.

I carried out my duty as I promised to my sister and called the BIL last night after I had written on TP. He is much the same and keeping him in check with life moving forward is hard some days. I worry for my nephew too and what will happen to him in the future. My BIL is 66 and not in good health.

Tonight I am off to visit and say hello and see how things are, which is not easy, but equally the BIL is a good friend too, how can I not visit even though I feel so **** myself?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'll be honest and say I feel very lost right now, and I don't even know why I write on TP sometimes

This is exactly which you should be posting here @Palerider - you feel lost. Posting on here hopefully makes you feel that you’re less alone.

I know I’m not the only member to still be on the forum years after they’ve lost a loved one. My husband died 5 years ago next month and I’m still here and I still feel comfort from knowing I’m part of a community who cares.

Thinking of you

Enjoy your ragu.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I hope the ragu was good. Even though I'm a vegetarian I'm glad you are doing it properly and not going down the spag bog route. We once had a really interesting food tour in Bologna. I recommend it if we're ever allowed to travel abroad again.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Right I am off to the BILs

I was given this as a present last week... but its too strong for me, very smoky. I'm taking it to the BILs as he's half Scot ;)

20210627_181915.jpg

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Well I'm not going to lie, about two weeks ago I had a big meltdown. I have struggled to get my head sorted out and ended up calling the crisis line. I'm signed off with depression at the moment, but luckily I am not where I was 16 years ago. My close friends and colleagues have stood by me, for which I am grateful.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Well I'm not going to lie, about two weeks ago I had a big meltdown. I have struggled to get my head sorted out and ended up calling the crisis line. I'm signed off with depression at the moment, but luckily I am not where I was 16 years ago. My close friends and colleagues have stood by me, for which I am grateful.
So sorry to hear this. Take care of yourself. You've used all your energy caring for other people you need to concentrate on yourself now.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I can only say that my GP has been absolutely amazing and even apologised at the situation, I can't say that its any fix for how I feel, but I have realised that the last few years have been a real stretch. My friends aren't surprised and they confess they were worried when this was going to happen how it would all end -well its ended up with me in a heap. Didn't thiink I'd be back in a dark place after so long, perhaps I got it all wrong? I feel like a complete failure.

Peace lily

Jan 30, 2020
So sorry to hear that you're suffering with depression @Palerider. You've been so busy looking after everyone else that you've probably neglected your own needs. Sometimes I think this is the way our brain reacts to stress to get both our bodies and minds to slow down and take note. I've been there, so know some of what you're going through. Take some time for you now. Get lots of rest and do things that you enjoy. Thinking of you x

Peace lily

Jan 30, 2020
Please don't think you're a failure... absolutely not. You have been a rock, busy supporting everybody else. A sponge can only absorb so much...and you have absorbed more than your fair share of other people's stress etc x

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
So sorry to hear that you're suffering with depression @Palerider. You've been so busy looking after everyone else that you've probably neglected your own needs. Sometimes I think this is the way our brain reacts to stress to get both our bodies and minds to slow down and take note. I've been there, so know some of what you're going through. Take some time for you now. Get lots of rest and do things that you enjoy. Thinking of you x
Thanks. I am trying really hard to find some peace in all the mess that has unfolded over the last several months.....this is a start I guess.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Tonight I am visiting the BILs, I don't want to have to, but my nieces are concerned for their dad and he is not coping. I can't make him do anything, but I am hoping I get him to ask for help, because I can't help him anymore. I don't know how this is going to work out tonight....

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Ive been there too, with all those thoughts Simon and Im sorry it has happened to you.
The final stages of dementia can be harrowing and there is all the anticipatory grief to deal with too., plus in your case your sister as well.
You are human, not a robot and it would be surprising if things hadnt affected you. You are not a failure

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Right, I didn't go to the BILs because to be honest I couldn't, I called hi instead and we had a chat about some of the things that have been raised, he sounded like he was popping his bupra stuff again, but he said he would contact his GP and ask for some help. I will have to go there at some point, but not yet, I just can't deal with it right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.