Shrunk clothes in care home

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
I know that there have been posts about shrinkage before but I just wondered if anyone had claimed from the home for replacements. Clothes which had been washed successfully have just been returned shrunk so I suspect that different temperatures were used. Several items including some only worn once are now rendered unwearable. It is so frustrating not to mention expensive.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Clothes will go in a hot wash, not many modern fabric are usually subject to shrinkage.

What sort of garments are you talking about?

Can you clam on their insurance? i doubt it. It seems to go with the territory.

Install a laundry basket & do her laundry at your house is one solution

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
I sympathise, Mummy lost a few hand knitted jumpers that become tea cosies.
After this we bought fleeces and sweatshirts (Cotton Trader have nice ones - others are available) as they tended to survive better. Home life (as in care home) is hard on clothes, even without accidental hot wahses. I was always buying trousers and T shirts. I am not sure there is an easy solution to this. The home Mummy was in, were very sorry when it happened, I doubt we would have been able to claim.

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
The items were all cotton 3 polo shirts bought for husband birthday last week and one long sleeved t shirt which had survived washing by home for a month prior to this week. This makes me wonder if there has been a change?

Didn’t think they’d cause a problem.

I may decide to wash at home but it is so annoying.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Good clothes are not suitable for care home washing.

Once my husband's good clothes were spoilt, I bought utility clothing wherever possible and replaced it as needed. I was lucky because all his shirts stayed in good condition so he always looked presentable.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
they do shrink in hot wash or the hot tumble drier. make sure they are plenty big enough so he can wear them if they shrink. maybe dont buy expensive clothing but tough clothes that will stand the riggers of carehome. maybe buy a size bigger which is easier to put on. sometimes they have to put clothes in hot was for infection control reasons. i would get him so basics from a supermarket then at least if they shrink it wont cost too much to replace them

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Cotton polo shirts shouldn't shrink! I wonder if someone set the washer incorrectly and it boiled everything? If so then you'd probably have a case for claiming some recompense from the care home, but the chances of them admitting fault are practically nil :(

As others have said, it happens. Stuff goes missing, gets ruined in the wash, etc. Unfortunately, this is institutional care and such niceties as sorting washing carefully just doesn't happen.

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
Approached home today about shrinkage. They acknowledged that this is first time in the two months since my husband moved in so something must have changed and have said that they will launder separately and air dry!

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Approached home today about shrinkage. They acknowledged that this is first time in the two months since my husband moved in so something must have changed and have said that they will launder separately and air dry!
thats better at least they acknowledge it and are correcting it. thats all you can hope for really

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
thats better at least they acknowledge it and are correcting it. thats all you can hope for really
Yes, I am pleased with their response and hope things are better. I was going to do the laundry myself but I am relieved that I don’t need to do this. I will certainly be looking carefully when I replace clothing!