1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Shrugging shoulders and slight breathing difficulty

Discussion in 'Middle - later stages of dementia' started by Wigs, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Wigs

Wigs Registered User

Sep 23, 2015
    Hi there, I just wondered if anyone had seen this problem relating to dementia. My mum is 98 and has recently started periodically heaving her shoulders high like a shrugging movement that continues for a while and makes her breathing a little difficult. It sometimes happens after eating or drinking and then subsides. All tests from a recent hospital visit came back fine and she is reasonably fit for someone of her age. Could it be anxiety or dementia related? Be grateful for any feedback. Chris

2. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Welcome to TP:)

I've never heard of it but hopefully somebody will post soon.

3. 2jays

2jays Registered User

Jun 4, 2010
    West Midlands
    My thoughts

My husband breaths like this sometimes (no dementia)

It's to do with his diaphragm. But he has medical issues with his diaphragm

I'm wondering if it happens after a meal, the stomach is pushing against her diaphragm so making breathing a bit difficult. And the possibility of her sitting position after food. Depending on amount of food at one time, I'm wondering if smaller sized meals, little and often would help.

Just my thoughts xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point