Showing No Emotion

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
Hi all,

I am not new to the forum as I have a mother in Late to End Stage of Dementia in a CH and have posted a few times. Everyone that responds have always given good advise, so I am hoping you can help me this time.

It seems that my dad is now showing signs of early dementia. The good thing (if you can call it that), is he recognises that he doesn't always remember things and that he can only deal with one task at a time. It certainly helps when I am explaining things to him.

Now, when my mum was showing first signs her emotions and reactions were really heightened! She would scream or cry at the smallest thing.

Dad on the other hand is showing little or no emotion or reaction. He recently had his wallet stolen (long story), I have dealt with cancelling cards, trying to claim money back etc. He sort of just shrugs his shoulders.

I was talking to him about one of my clients, who has just been diagnosed with Parkinsons, he changed the subject, with an "oh well".

Is this a symptom, is this age, is this him not giving a flying F any more?

I know I can't fix it, I just wondered if anyone else has witnessed this with a PWD?

Thank you for reading my post,

Jxx

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi all,

I am not new to the forum as I have a mother in Late to End Stage of Dementia in a CH and have posted a few times. Everyone that responds have always given good advise, so I am hoping you can help me this time.

It seems that my dad is now showing signs of early dementia. The good thing (if you can call it that), is he recognises that he doesn't always remember things and that he can only deal with one task at a time. It certainly helps when I am explaining things to him.

Now, when my mum was showing first signs her emotions and reactions were really heightened! She would scream or cry at the smallest thing.

Dad on the other hand is showing little or no emotion or reaction. He recently had his wallet stolen (long story), I have dealt with cancelling cards, trying to claim money back etc. He sort of just shrugs his shoulders.

I was talking to him about one of my clients, who has just been diagnosed with Parkinsons, he changed the subject, with an "oh well".

Is this a symptom, is this age, is this him not giving a flying F any more?

I know I can't fix it, I just wondered if anyone else has witnessed this with a PWD?

Thank you for reading my post,

Jxx
Hi. I very often get this with my dad. Just very occasionally now do I get the odd glimpse of anger.Dad always used to be immaculate and was very fussy. Very often now if he has messy clothes it is “Oh well! I’m not going anywhere “. So I do get it

I have noticed with my dad as well when he is talking to me he is looking at the wall sometimes. Especially if I’m sitting beside him..Weird..

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Dementia often affects the emotions, but sometimes (like your mum) it heightens them, and with other people it flattens them.

Alternatively, it might be something like depression (which can also affect the memory). Id be inclined to keep a diary of all the odd things that you notice and speak or send a message to his GP outlining your concerns. It may be something that is easily fixable.

Rach1985

Jun 9, 2019
My Dad has Alzheimer’s and pretty much in every situation he shows no emotion now

his brother had a heart attack a couple of weeks ago and he didn’t respond. Dad is slightly deaf so I told him again and he said yes I heard you the first time and then carried on watching homes under the hammer

Buckles

Oct 4, 2020
As noted, I was just wondered about depression rather than dementia given the circumstances?

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
My dad ( non dementia) was hospitalised with cancer, and we got the call. we shot over t the hospital with Mum ( dementia) but were too late. My Oh and I we in bits, mum was completely normal. I asked her if she was going to say goodbye to dad ( 63 years married) and she just said ''Cheerio then''.

That was it, no emotion at all.

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
Thank you all so much for your responses! Its always helpful when you know that others are in the same position. I think it could be depression/anxiety/all of that and dementia. Now its getting him to the Dr.!

Jxx

mickeyplum

Feb 22, 2018
This seems to be a normal behaviour. My husband with vascular dementia used to have a good sense of humour and i could always make him laugh out loud.
Now he responds to a wittisism in the same flat way as he does to the death of a friend (I've stopped telling him these things now). Usually his comment is, 'That's life'.
I've learned not to take it personally and to realise that his mind does not process things in the normal way, but It's still quite hard to see such a change in his character.
I suppose the only thing we can do is try and remember the person who used to be there,