showering

Shiela

Mar 26, 2015
I am having problems, my husband is refusing to get in the shower, I help him to wash but it's not the same as showering, has anyone any tips or advice please. His incontinence is getting much worse which makes kit more important to shower regularly.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Upside down world of dementia

Sheila this must be horrible for you. I wish I could advise you but I have the opposite problem in that my husband stands in the shower for about half an hour and shaves and brushes his teeth in there too. I daren't suggest he washes his face before we go out or before I know it he is back in the shower!

Through the looking glass hasn't a look in here.

Shiela

Mar 26, 2015
Sheila this must be horrible for you. I wish I could advise you but I have the opposite problem in that my husband stands in the shower for about half an hour and shaves and brushes his teeth in there too. I daren't suggest he washes his face before we go out or before I know it he is back in the shower!

Through the looking glass hasn't a look in here.

thank you for your response I imagine you are as frustrated as I am

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Quite often it's the water in the face that upsets people. Would your husband consider taking a bath? I used to offer my mother a choice between a bath or shower when she was in her non-bathing stage and sometimes having a choice helps. Sometimes.

Shiela

Mar 26, 2015
thank you all for your replies I have read the fact sheet which has given me some tips to try and hopefully reach some sort of agreement.

Mossyanne1

Feb 10, 2015
Hello Sheila, I am so sorry to hear you are having such a bad time. My problems are trying to get my OH to have a bath, Sunday evening was a definate trial, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, it was like trying to bath an obstinate 3 year old. I was totally exhausted by the time it was over. I use any which way to cajole him to do things. After it was over I went downstairs, had a large whiskey and watched Poldark. Oh Joy!!! It would have made a brilliant TV sketch.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello sheila my problem was my hubby was showering and shaving every hour through the night, he had forgotten that he had just showered. So Dr. Gave him sleeping pills so he now sleeps 10hrs without waking, now he will not get in the shower, so l have the same problems as you, l just help him to have a strip wash, l am pleased we both now sleep all night.

Feline

Oct 25, 2012
East Devon
I am having problems, my husband is refusing to get in the shower, I help him to wash but it's not the same as showering, has anyone any tips or advice please. His incontinence is getting much worse which makes kit more important to shower regularly.

Hi Shiela,
I have to ' seize the moment ' to shower my husband, if he seems responsive and happy then I try a shower or hair wash. Sometimes it works better than other times.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti