Showering - any tips takes about 4-5 days to get hubby to shower any tips?

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Try holding the shower head where its needed rather than just 'raining'. My mum didnt used to like getting her face wet

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Hello @AngelinaBallerina and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. You'll find a lot of advice and support here.

About showering - I used to offer my mother a choice of a bath or a shower. This at least gave her the option of choice. I don't know if your OH would take a bath, men often prefer showers. Can you say you are going somewhere special so a shower is in order? Then go for a coffee, perhaps. Anything to keep up the illusion.

AngelinaBallerina

Feb 12, 2021
Hello @AngelinaBallerina and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. You'll find a lot of advice and support here.

About showering - I used to offer my mother a choice of a bath or a shower. This at least gave her the option of choice. I don't know if your OH would take a bath, men often prefer showers. Can you say you are going somewhere special so a shower is in order? Then go for a coffee, perhaps. Anything to keep up the illusion.
Many thanks will try it x

sapphire turner

Jan 14, 2022
We went through a few weeks when he wouldn’t have a shower, we kinda managed with wet wipes and he didn’t smell bad as far as I could tell. He did get cradle cap tho and moaned like mad about me removing it with olive oil and a nit comb. Then he suddenly decided to start showering again, thank goodness! I had the same problem with a 3 year old many years ago ???

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
Could it be that he is nervous? I watched my husband attempting to shower and realised he was struggling with the complexity of it probably too much information but initially we showered together, we have a large area. We did this until the OT came out and recommended a shower chair and a half step to help him get into the cubicle. I’d put towels on the floor in case of spillage and would assist with the shower head where needed. He would wash himself. This also worked..

Dawnee

May 25, 2022
4-5 days?! I am lucky if I can get my husband to bath every 4-5 weeks! And he is someone who years ago would bath daily.
Hi Quite contrary.....Oh my goodness and I don't mean it rudely but am relieved to know that I'm not the only one having this problem but I've been too embarrassed to tell anyone or admit it even on here stupidly as I know no one judges but still...
My husband is still young on ly 64 so still quite strong g and gets aggressive so must admit I just let it go because we all have to chose our battles right? .....Have been worried this constitutes neglect but what can you do.....

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
im lucky that i shower my husband every day. sometimes he can be reluctant and ive just said that it stops the nagging wife nagging. tends to work at the moment. before, he was having strip washes at the sink. maybe he would be alright with that as thats what it used to be. they can be clean just with a wash.

Quite contrary

Jan 5, 2020
Ilford, Essex
Hi @Dawnee
I am so pleased my post made you relieved. Yes, I too have discovered the need to pick my battles! Thinking about it, I remember a dear friend telling me that when I was struggling with my defiant toddler (33 now!).

Dawnee

May 25, 2022
im lucky that i shower my husband every day. sometimes he can be reluctant and ive just said that it stops the nagging wife nagging. tends to work at the moment. before, he was having strip washes at the sink. maybe he would be alright with that as thats what it used to be. they can be clean just with a wash.
Hi @jennifer1967
My husband is more than reluctant and flatly refuses and gets really verbally aggressive if I try to nag him about it and says he's not a child but he is still in complete denial after 8 months.... there is a history of abuse ( not me i hasten to add) in our home so I must admit I back off for safety reasons .....But bizarrely enough he shaves every couple of days......where is the logic I ask myself ? But of course as we all know all too well there is no logic in a dementia brain? but will persevere when I believe it's safe to do so .....but what an excellent idea . sapphire turner wet wipes thank you very much to you both

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hi @jennifer1967
My husband is more than reluctant and flatly refuses and gets really verbally aggressive if I try to nag him about it and says he's not a child but he is still in complete denial after 8 months.... there is a history of abuse ( not me i hasten to add) in our home so I must admit I back off for safety reasons .....But bizarrely enough he shaves every couple of days......where is the logic I ask myself ? But of course as we all know all too well there is no logic in a dementia brain? but will persevere when I believe it's safe to do so .....but what an excellent idea . sapphire turner wet wipes thank you very much to you both
thats weird, its the shaving i have to remind him to do.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi @AngelinaBallerina @Dawnee
Dad was happy to have a 'good wash' as that is what he did when young, with a bath a week in the 'good old days' ... so a wash at the basin with nice soap (or liquid body wash) and using flannels or sponges (more eco than wet wipes, and I think more comfortable and easier to use)

Belgrave28

Apr 16, 2022
I have trouble getting my husband into the shower he says washing at the sink but doesn’t know to use soap I pick my battles getting him into the shower I put the shower gel on a sponge and get him to wash his body it is a nightmare because his hearing is so bad I’m shouting prompting him what to do as for shaving he tries but isn’t sucessful I got and electric shaver but still not great it ends up that I end up trying to shave him my hands are bad and deformed with arthritis so i find this very difficult

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I have trouble getting my husband into the shower he says washing at the sink but doesn’t know to use soap I pick my battles getting him into the shower I put the shower gel on a sponge and get him to wash his body it is a nightmare because his hearing is so bad I’m shouting prompting him what to do as for shaving he tries but isn’t sucessful I got andc electric shaver but still not great it ends up that I end up trying to shave him my hands are bad and deformed with arthritis so i find this very difficult
could you put some liquid soap in the water for washing. then he doesnt have to worry about soap. he then can have a wash in the sink with soap already in there.

Belgrave28

Apr 16, 2022
could you put some liquid soap in the water for washing. then he doesnt have to worry about soap. he then can have a wash in the sink with soap already in there.
Yes I will give this a try he doesn’t like me in the bathroom with him as he doesn’t recognise me as his wife but I will try anything thank you

Snuffette

Jan 11, 2021
My mum developed a fear of the shower about this time last year, the carers in her care home now do a strip wash for her with a sponge in the morning :)

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
Quite frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn! No that's not quite true but hey-ho ... I have more important battles to gently and creepily wend my spooky way around. :)
Now, when we were kids (OK - here comes the tatty overused and rather tired old story) we didn't have the luxury of a bathroom, let alone a bathtub, shower, or hot water on tap. The odd sluice down with a shared damp rag sufficed. Maybe. Or a kettle of water if one could get the luxury of the scullery to oneself for ten minutes. And don't get me going on about the tin bath in front of the coal fire - assuming coal could be afforded.
So - I'm a bit perplexed about the fixation of all these bath or shower routines. Even the messy old pull-ups and pads are an improvement on bits of cut-up flannel sheeting so I tend to go with the mood of the day and either make a party-party of showering (together) or just flick the flannel where it's going to do the best job.
I do hope my rather easy-peasy attitude towards smelly bits and bobs does not offend or hurt anyone. It's not meant to and I wouldn't wish it to. But I've found *not* getting uptight about it makes it all the more delicious when we leave the sweet and steamy bathroom with shiny bods and bots, glossy hair, and freshly laundered wrinkles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brose