Shouting out

Theresalwaystomorrow

Dec 23, 2017
hi all
Is my mum in late stages?
She keeps shouting out help me help me, sometimes with her eyes closed, she can get very agitated then sleepy, she also walks around banging on doors and windows to get out
My dad is 90 looking after her and can’t cope
Anyone else had this

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
hi all
Is my mum in late stages?
She keeps shouting out help me help me, sometimes with her eyes closed, she can get very agitated then sleepy, she also walks around banging on doors and windows to get out
My dad is 90 looking after her and can’t cope
Anyone else had this
Might be worth having her checked for an infection such as a UTI. Otherwise her GP may be able to give something to settle her.

Theresalwaystomorrow

Dec 23, 2017
Thank you both
Yes she has had UTI’s but this has been going on for few months now. SS are aware but nobody seems to be doing anything, it’s so cruel to listen to and watch as there is no pacifying

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Your poor dad. It must be very distressing for both of them. As @karaokePete has said - could the GP not give mum something to help calm her agitation? It seems very wrong for nobody to be trying to do something to help the situation.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
ask your Mums GP or relevant healthcare worker for screening for Delirium.
My Mum suffered acute delirium recently after a UTI and ended up in hospital from her care home.
Fluctuating between docile, confused & sleepy to shouting, banging on doors, agressive & agitated. Being in hospital made her worse :( She was in for 5 days.
Mum was already on 50 mg Quetiapine since Nov 17 and doing well until this happened. Her Quetiapine was increased, and what a difference it has made .
Seeing Mum smile again is wonderful.
As much as we wish medication wasnt required, it is often necessary, to give some quality of life I feel.

Theresalwaystomorrow

Dec 23, 2017
Hi to you all
Just an update, mum now on home but her agitation, extream anxiety still persists. She also has a PSC pilonidal sinus cyst which she’s had for months but after 19 days in Home they have just found it because apparently it was covered by a bed sore !
But her constant restlessness, trying to hold everyone’s hand and getting up and walking with agitation is on going but the home leave her to her own devices and to get comfort ‘if she can’ from other patients
But they call her behaviour low?? She was only in there 20 days before they assessed her?

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I am sorry your mother is suffering this. My mother too cried out "help me! help me!" a lot when she was in pain. The bedsore is probably causing pain. Have the home thought about giving relief for this? She could be low because of this.

Theresalwaystomorrow

Dec 23, 2017
Hi Nita
Mum has been in excusiating pain for few months now, the Home said they couldn’t find it at first ‘well 19 days!’
But it’s her behaviour with it she just can’t rest and as a family we are very concerned . We’re speaking to the doc tomorrow so will find out more then.
We are also going thru CHC assessment and with mums nursing needs and this anxiety behaviour why should we have to fight this is an illness for goodness sake isent it.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi @Theresalwaystomorrow
I'm so sorry to hear about your mum's distress. As other posters have said, I would think it's important if possible to deal with the physical pain she's in, and also to tackle any infections. Hopefully you'll be able to find out more when you speak to the doctor tomorrow.
As to your mum's emotional distress / anxiety, that may be linked to pain etc, or it may be a separate issue in itself.
My mum is also very anxious, and calls out 'Hello, hello!!!!' continually - the tone of her voice seems to indicate she also means 'Help!' I know how hard this is to hear. Mum has I'm afraid been doing this for two years now. It started in her second year of residential care, got much worse when she was admitted to hospital after a fall and a broken hip, and has continued in nursing care.
We have tried all sorts of things to help, from medication including Trazadone, mirtazepine, and fluoxetine, to employing a private occupational therapist for one to one sessions, to regular quiet music sessions, to me reading to her, etc etc.
I'm sorry to say that nothing has stopped the shouting out. It seems now that it's almost like a habit or tic....as someone on another thread very acutely said, it's a bit like Tourette's.!!! Often mum is not ware of shouting, and will do it in the middle of me visiting, almost as much as when I'm not there. Any time I don't give her 100% attention, eg am speaking to staff, she shouts....
So, I'm sorry, this may not be of much help, but I wanted you to know you (and your mum) are far from alone. And I hope it helps that although mum continues to shout, she does seem less actually distressed lately.
Good luck with the doctor and CHC.
All the best
Lindy xx