Shout out to Age UK

Boldredrosie

Mar 13, 2012
Just a quick and positive post (first ever I think) to say, if you've not accessed your local Age UK services, then please do. I was recommended them by a WI friend whose husband has dementia after I'd had a very traumatic experience with social services. It's taken a while to make contact but the young woman I spoke to today and yesterday seems absolutely terrific, so on the ball, so focused in what can be done. She's spoken to the memory clinic, going to re-refer me (as carer) & Ma to social services, told me Ma would probably get attendance allowance so worth applying for it, and generally made me feel like I wasn't whingeing unnecessarily.

Feels great to have somebody on my side for the first time ever since Ma began her slide into dementia nearly 20 years ago. She said she'd even come to the house when social services come back.

pimpernel

Sep 2, 2014
Derby
Just a quick and positive post (first ever I think) to say, if you've not accessed your local Age UK services, then please do. I was recommended them by a WI friend whose husband has dementia after I'd had a very traumatic experience with social services. It's taken a while to make contact but the young woman I spoke to today and yesterday seems absolutely terrific, so on the ball, so focused in what can be done. She's spoken to the memory clinic, going to re-refer me (as carer) & Ma to social services, told me Ma would probably get attendance allowance so worth applying for it, and generally made me feel like I wasn't whingeing unnecessarily.

Feels great to have somebody on my side for the first time ever since Ma began her slide into dementia nearly 20 years ago. She said she'd even come to the house when social services come back.

I second this. My parents both had diagnoses last year, and whilst pushing the doctor and memory service to act, dealing with social services, applying for attendance allowance, and just talking through their situation, their local Age Uk were our buddies and my cheerleaders. It is an excellent service.

katie1

Aug 5, 2014
Kendal Cumbria
Age UK were a great help to us, they sent out a nice young man who chatted to both my parents and went through the attendance allowance form for my Dad. The young man showed great respect to Dad who talked about all sorts of things and nothing to do with what the man was trying to do on the form.
The Age UK man helped Mum find out all sorts of info and left her with leaflets and phone numbers and rang her and me a week or so later to let us know what would happen next.
Dad got the higher rate of AA thanks to the work the Age UK man did.

Spiro

Mar 11, 2012
The local Age UK were very helpful. The advisor I spoke to sent me loads of info and was very clued up on CHC funding.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
I agree. I have recommended Age UK many times on here.

Not dementia related, my dad goes to our local branch once every six weeks or so, to have his toenails cut

Oops, I left out how much they helped When Mum was alive. Sadly she was not able to go to there Dementia day centre as mum needed 1to1 care or there dementia coffee morning , mum needed 1 to 1 care , could not take lots of noise or people talking but not talking to her. So instead they did their best to help me for which I shall forever be grateful .

Last edited:

Pottingshed50

Apr 8, 2012
How refreshing to hear some good news. I am sure your post will help others in the future. Well done Age UK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
debbie1968