Should we go to a private memory clinic?

Zackyboy

Jun 13, 2015
Hello - my mother, sister and I all think Mum may have dementia. She went to the GP herself to share her concerns, and he has, I think, referred her to a memory clinic - but I hear the waiting time is very long. She lives in Norfolk, where there seems to be very limited NHS provision.

Should she go to a private clinic for a diagnosis? If she did, would she be able to go back to the GP with it or be referred through to the NHS? Or should she just go back to the GP and ask to go private?

She is facing the possibility bravely, but the waiting isn't helping. Would be very grateful for any advice. Thanks.

Sammyjo1

Jul 8, 2014
We had to go private to get a diagnosis for my OH as, for complicated reasons, we needed a quick diagnosis. We discussed it with the GP who advised us on which consultant to approach. That consultant wasn't available but I managed to find another one by looking on the local private hospital's web site. The consultant did the Addenbrookes Memory test (which is a longer one). The GP had already arranged a CT scan so that was done on the NHS. I think we paid for 2 consultancies and for the private donepezil prescription (which was £5 a go so wasn't expensive)

The GP said that he would let the consultant look after OH until he was settled on the 10 mg donepezil and that OH could then go back to the GP for regular medication. He also arranged an appointment with the memory clinic so that OH was in the system.

OH now goes to the memory clinic every 6 months and sees the GP regularly too.

Hope this helps

Zackyboy

Jun 13, 2015
We had to go private to get a diagnosis for my OH as, for complicated reasons, we needed a quick diagnosis. We discussed it with the GP who advised us on which consultant to approach. That consultant wasn't available but I managed to find another one by looking on the local private hospital's web site. The consultant did the Addenbrookes Memory test (which is a longer one). The GP had already arranged a CT scan so that was done on the NHS. I think we paid for 2 consultancies and for the private donepezil prescription (which was £5 a go so wasn't expensive)

The GP said that he would let the consultant look after OH until he was settled on the 10 mg donepezil and that OH could then go back to the GP for regular medication. He also arranged an appointment with the memory clinic so that OH was in the system.

OH now goes to the memory clinic every 6 months and sees the GP regularly too.

Hope this helps

Thank you, that's very helpful - going back to the GP for advice on private referral looks like the answer. All best wishes to you and yours.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
We took my mother to a consultant neurologist because she believed she would get better treatment.

After questioning and an examination he diagnosed dementia saying she had lost all insight. He discouraged us from having any further tests, saying his mother had had dementia and the tests were too distressing.

My mother 's dementia did progress so his diagnosis was correct even though she had no further tests .

Zackyboy

Jun 13, 2015
We took my mother to a consultant neurologist because she believed she would get better treatment.

After questioning and an examination he diagnosed dementia saying she had lost all insight. He discouraged us from having any further tests, saying his mother had had dementia and the tests were too distressing.

My mother 's dementia did progress so his diagnosis was correct even though she had no further tests .

Thank you, Grannie G - that's an important thing to bear in mind as we go on - my Mum likes to do well at everything, so this is very relevant.

Zackyboy

Jun 13, 2015
Hello Zackyboy I'm not sure if the link above has worked properly but it may be worth checking that the GP has already done the blood tests that can rule out things like vitamin B deficiency before you start paying for private treatment.[/QUOTE said:
Thanks, the link did work and I will certainly check this out. Mum isn't vegetarian and hasn't had any recent anaesthetics - but does take various other medications and these may have some impact?