Should we get a dog?

dasntn

May 21, 2014
North Devon
Hello

my wife was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 3 years ago at the age of 58, so she is still fairly physically active, although less so than before, but increasingly less socially active.

Until a couple of months ago we had a cat, who died of old age. She now says that the cat was the only friend she had, (obviously not true but it says something about her loneliness). She likes animals, watching squirrels in the garden, and nature programmes on TV, so I thought we might get a dog. Probably an older rescue dog, rather than a puppy.

Hopefully this will give her some focus and company (I am at home now, having stopped work to care for her) and will gives us both some reason for more exercise.

I just want to make sure I consider all of the aspects (good and bad) before going ahead, so does anyone else have experience of doing this, or any views?
Thanks

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I don't think a dog is a good idea. When ours died, I didn't get another one which proved to be the right decision. There have been a couple of recent threads about dogs and dementia.
Have you considered another cat?

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
My rescue cat was/is miserable as sin

If you get a rescue cat get the right one ..preferably one that has not been abused..ours was and it pretty much hated us for about six years. Didn't want to be in the same room with humans. Its someone what friendlier now and is a lifeline for my dad who likes her.

I didn't always have a lot of time to spend on her I admit. May be consider one of those rag doll cats if you can afford it that are used in a lot of care homes because they like flopping about.

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
Simply responding as I have lately looked into getting a dog having never owned one. I am holding fire at the moment as we have 2 cats and know that introducing a dog into a cat household can be fraught with problems. Especially as my hubby isn't fully on board with the idea.

I would say get a dog. They say dogs have owners and cats have staff. A dog is far more loving and will give you both a focus to go out walking and get chatting to other dog walkers. The dog will be company for both of you. If you get an older dog it won't need lots of walking (having looked into it I have been told retired greyhounds make lovely pets as they are placid, good natured and don't need long walks). However if the dog is too old the likelihood is that you won.'t have many years with it. If you are in most of the time you can make a good home for a rescue dog. There are pros and cons to owning a dog but I think the benefit will outweigh any problems.
Good Luck.

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
I personally would advise against a dog.

We kept them ourselves till a few years ago, but when they passed on, didn't get any more. If there'd been dogs to worry about during my husband's health scares (two years ago) and my mother's dementia crisis (six months ago), it would just have added to the general stress levels. I had to be at the hospital, or round at my mother's, or was ill myself, and it would have been hard to care for an animal properly.

You can always find other reasons for exercise - gardens to visit, or even family zoos.

Just my opinion. Good luck whatever you decide.

Hamster Wheel

Apr 20, 2017
Derbyshire
No

As a dog lover I say not a good idea. They need regular exercise care and time. Dogs are basically todlers. Yes can be loving and wonderful company but if not given time needed to care for them properly, they can turn out to be a complete nightmare - just look at the dog shelters! Also unfair on a rescue dog you may adopt only to find you cannot cope and have to have to be rehome again. Time will be something you will become increasingly short off and it just wouldn't be fair on the dog.

On positive note, what about short term fostering for the dogs trust or local shelter or just dog walking. You won't be committed for 12+ years and would help a dog.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I'm going to say, yes, but choose carefully

Mum was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago & I got a dog a year ago. Ours is small, so he can be (& is) a lap dog, without squashing you too much

I do a long walk with him & mum takes him round the block a couple of times. We all benefit from the exercise & he's company for mum while I'm doing things. He will sit with her in the garden swing while I garden, or in the lounge where she can watch me out the window if it's too cold for her

I did take him to dog training classes, they are well worth the expense if you find a recommended one.

Our dog had been ignored & left alone, so he suffered anxiety. 6 weeks of training & he is much better. He wakes well on a lead, can be told to "leave" other dogs, or whatever gets his attention.

Walking a dog is a great introduction to many like minded people & has encouraged mum to be more social.

Do research the level of exercise the breed you are looking at needs. Although I had a GSD& he was the laziest dog you've ever met :D. I had to drag him out for walks as he preferred to lie in the lounge with lots of fuss :)

Zana

May 12, 2016
You are thinking already not choosing a puppy maybe a rescue which would also mean passing a home assement and the rescue could give you help.

You will have to bear in mind that the main task of caring for the dog any dog will be down to you so you have to be 100% on board before you start.

My OH has FTd early stages and when our dog died last June OH was distraught.
It was he who suggested getting another dog , he was lonely during the day and missed the walks that he went on with our old boy..

I researched the breeds thought long and hard and in the end I decided to get a pup of a breed known to be very easy going, very loyal and easy to please, not too fragile or highly strung, not a dog that needs a lot of grooming, not one with a list of health issues, not one who needs a lot of amusing.

OH has taken to this new dog with a passion he loves and cares for him in a way I never saw with our old dogs , this pup has given him a new lease of life and a new enjoyment of walking and going out places. Having the dog helps him maintain a routine too.

For me its easy Ive always had dogs and cant honestly ever see myself without at least one dog in my life. But I realise you have to be sure and you have to know that you will be able to cope looking after the dog alone. Consider the cost of possible dog sitters /kennels for the odd day or even a dog walking service for those days you have to be away.

It can be done but it needs planning and commitment.

Nameless

Jun 10, 2016
That's a tough question to answer and I spent a lot of time checking out the pros and cons for us. Unfortunately we had to put our dog to sleep a year ago. My husband and kids all want a "new" one. But I know having a dog takes up a lot of time, of which I don't have much to spare. My husband would go walking with him a few days a week, but imagine if he tied up the dog and forgot him somewhere.... I contemplated getting a retired blind dog, but I like to go jogging, and that might be to much for an elderly dog. So for the moment we are definitely staying dogless.

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
I would suggest, as above, fostering a dog from a rescue organisation. Many are desperate to free up kennel space. You'll have no vet's bills and, if needs be, the dog can either go back into rescue or, more optimistically, will find a permanent home.
I hope I never have to live long-term without a dog :)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I see someone mentioned the idea of getting a Ragdoll cat. I know to buy a kitten would be expensive. But a friend of mine breeds pedigree cats, and after a few years, if, for example, she gets an exceptional female kitten in a litter, she will keep it and neuter and retire the mother. Then she looks for a good home for the mother cat. She doesn't sell her, but she is VERY particular about the home she goes to. I understand that most breeders would occasionally rehome cats this way. So you could check that out.

Mimi5

Apr 22, 2017
Essex
Having just had to remove MIL dog (see thread about it) I'd also say probably not a idea.

MIL worried about her dog constantly, especially if she was out of sight thinking she was "lost", fed her her food, constantly let her out for the loo and in the end the dog was "disconnected" from her and had become attached to me, becoming very distressed every time I left. In the end the dog was escaping and running away!!

Your situation is different and the dog could workout for you, but it will be work and responsibility for you. A rescue dog will need someone experienced with dog anxiety issues. My sister has had 3 re-home rescue dogs and they take work and know how.

Have a good think:)

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
Much as I love dogs, I say NO.

We had dogs all our lives until last June when we had our 17 year old dog PTS.

He was no trouble as he was old but whenever Mum was here we had to be very careful that she wouldn't trip over him as he would lay down all over the place.

Since mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's I have so much running about to do that I would never have had time to walk a dog twice a day so in a way I am pleased we never got another dog.

Also, it pains me to say, but many of the dogs who we see neglected and Uncared for on TV programmes belong to people who really are not well enough to care for them. Xx

What about seeing whether there are any schemes in your area like PAT dogs where they take dogs in to meet residents of care home safe etc.

Last edited:

Everton Annie

Feb 25, 2015
Hatfield Hertfordshire
I think it really depends on what your circumstances are. I had been thinking for quite a few months about getting a dog and encouraged by one of my sons went to the Blue Cross where I met the most beautiful little Jack Russell. We thought he was 2 yrs old but discovered he is actually 10 months. We have had him a week and wouldn't be without him. We walk him 3 times a day, sometimes my husband takes him out with his worker. People talk to you, it's something for my husband and I to talk about even though he can't remember his name. When I applied to have him I was asked why I wanted him. Therapy dog for husband but, perhaps selfishly, companionship for me and later on maybe a reason to get out of bed and out of the house. Go with your instinct, lots of reasons for and against.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
We had an old dog that developed cancer and we had a few months before he was put down to decide whether we would get another dog.

OH has always been devoted to his dogs. This was pre diagnosis but GP was working with me to get him to have an assessment so I talked to the GP about whether we should be getting a dog and he understood our situation very well.

He was of the very strong opinion that pets are very good for dementia patients and so when the sad time came to have our old dog put down, we started looking for another friend for OH. We didn't want a puppy and we adopted a two year old Staffie cross who is an absolutely fabulous dog.

We have had her four years now and she takes OH for a walk every morning and she sleeps on his bed which I think he finds reassuring as I hear him talking to her during the night.

A few months ago we added a kitten to the mix and he loves watching them have a game of chasey around the house.

I think there could be problems if the PWD lives on their own with caring for pets so my family know exactly what to do about the animals if something happens to me. If your PWD doesn't live alone and you can put plans in place for the care of the animal in the future, then you should go for it. I think the benefits far outweigh the negatives and if it will add to the quality of life for your loved one, then it is worth considering.

Everton Annie

Feb 25, 2015
Hatfield Hertfordshire
Thanks Hamsterwheel. Fortunately we have 10 ft hjgh privet hedges but we have, hopefully, dog proofed the bottom of the hedges. And yes he can jump and dig but it keeps me busy with something other than AD or autism. My youngest son with Asperger syndrome loves him as well so fingers crossed

Zana

May 12, 2016
In my earlier post I mentioned our situation now but Ive also seen how my MIL with AD was with our dogs.

We stayed with her for about 2 months and while she had totally forgotton who I was she rememebered the dog,s names, she gave them fresh water everytime she went to the kitchen and knew exactly how late they had their dinner telling one little begging dog that it wasnt 5pm so he wasnt getting anything yet.( she was right too) She wasnt talking much at the time but standing outside the livcing room door I heard her having long and interesting conversations with one of the dog who took a particular liking to her.

She stroked and when I gave her a brush she brused the dog interacting all the time.
She enjoyed getting them to sit and give a paw to get a dog treat.

Yes all carefully controled but the enjoyment she got in those two months was amazing she became relaxed and happy, taking notice of the weather and the garden, even becoming talkative where before she had been a mute sullen old lady stuck in front of the telly.

Its not easy but please dont just rule things out because it sometimes goes wrong. I know of one very obsese lady who accidently sat on her dog and killed it, does that mean no fat person can ever have a dog?

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I can't advise against getting a dog as we did so at a time before my wife's diagnosis but when I already knew that she was starting to think and act in strange ways. My wife loves our dog (almost too much at times) but does nothing practical for him, so it is up to me to feed him, groom him, pick up his mess, make sure that he is wormed etc. etc. At a time when looking after my wife is more demanding, having our greyhound around is both a comfort for us both and an extra call on my time. My wife used to love walking him on the lead (with me there) but all too often now she becomes impatient because he does doggy things such as sniffing every tree that we pass so I have to take over the lead. She has become paranoid that people are looking at us wanting just to steal him. Yet he brings us great joy and many laughs. I can't leave her alone with him for even a few minutes as she will feed him with whatever is to hand, just because of his sad eyes. Then she will feed him again and again ... This has effectively trapped me in the house.

It is a difficult balance but remember that the dog's welfare counts too. Knowing what I know now I would not get another dog if anything happened to our current hound.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
S(having looked into it I have been told retired greyhounds make lovely pets as they are placid, good natured and don't need long walks)

They certainly do make great pets and are very affectionate which is great for people with dementia and those without. On walks our greyhound attracts attention and gets my wife talking to different people, which is great to see. Ex-racing greyhounds are available via local branches of the Retired Greyhound Trust and for a small outlay one can own a pedigree athlete that will give you years of pleasure.