Should she still use my mobility scooter?

Thomas77

Jul 12, 2021
Shefford
velobike.co.uk
Hello everyone, this is my first post but hope you can advise me. My wife (71 years old) has dementia which slowly progresses. There is nothing we really can do about it, we are old people, but I want to ask a question here that concerns me deeply. You see, we both have our class 3 mobility scooters, because neither of us can walk long distances anymore. We used to ride them together often, but recently I feel anxiety when I watch her ride hers. I mean, with dementia you cannot be 100% sure she won't forget about braking or other things. Should she keep using such vehicle? She won't like switch to wheelchair, she is pretty defensive about the issue, but I worry it is a matter of time before she crashes her scooter into something or someone. I looked into double seater scooters, but turns out stupid law in UK doesn't allow them to be used.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Thomas77
a warm welcome to DTP
it's great that you both have been able to get out together

I think you're right to be concerned, and I wonder whether something has happened that has made you worry a bit ... all you can do is monitor how your wife is coping and maybe over time slightly alter where you go, so she's less likely to have problems

might you ask your GP for a referral to an Occupational Therapist who may have some useful suggestions for you

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Thomas77 Welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

I wonder if you can seek any medical advice about your wife`s safety in her mobility scooter. I suppose it is akin to safety for drivers with dementia on the road. Your wife`s mobility scooter may not cause the carnage a road traffic accident may cause but she could hurt someone badly if she lost control and it is obvious you have some cause for concern.

I understand how dreadful it would be for your wife to lose what is left of her independence but even that is better than an accident.

Perhaps you could consult your doctor and blame any decision on them. I used to blame our doctor for all the decisions I made for my husband. He would not fight against medical advice in the way he would fight against mine.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Thomas77 and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. I think chatting to your GP about a referal to an occupational therapist seems the way to go. I know you don't want to limit your wife's independence, but I would be worried if she did forget to break or lost patience with other pavement users. I'm deaf, and I've nearly been mown down on several occasions by people using scooters who have been cross I haven't leapt out of their way. I really can't hear them creeping up behind me. I do apologise when they shout at me, but I'm not sure if all of them really understood my problem. Maybe in the meantime limit yourself to easy to navigate routes.

ganymede

Apr 28, 2021
Hello @Thomas77, like you, my dad is getting older and looking after his wife (my mum) who is living with dementia. Mum was recently stopped from driving her car by the doctor and so we got Dad a mobility scooter. I was frustrated too that 2-person scooters are not allowed because it would have been ideal for them!

Dad and I had a similar conversation about whether Mum would be safe on a scooter of her own. The paperwork we got when we bought his scooter does stress that the scooter driver has to take responsibility for making sure they are safe to drive.

I found out that a lot of local mobility scooter shops/centres do a training course and assessment to see if someone is safe. Perhaps one way to ease your mind would be to book you both in for "refresher training"?

Another thought: Could you change your wife's scooter to a Class 2 (pavement only, 4mph limit) instead of a Class 3 (allowed on the road, 8mph limit)? Maybe keeping to a 4mph limit might help to reduce risks? [I just edited this sentence because I realised you said above you have Class 3 at present].

It sounds like you're doing a wonderful job supporting your wife and continuing to keep life as enjoyable and independent as you can.

Best wishes.

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
My OH now getting his mobility scooter- he not yet diagnosed- is he safe I dont know but he is insisting that he getting one has he having great difficulty in walking - anyone else had experience of this

WJG

Sep 13, 2020
Testing and assessment is everything: it is easy to assume that dementia makes people incapable - but we are all on a range of capabilities. I would suggest trying to get to see an OT

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my husband has just got his mobility scooter after i have had one for over a year. his legs were getting painful when walking. he is fine on it and only goes out locally on his own. its given him freedom. i say just make it simple and plenty of practice. my husband does forget he has to push the lever to make it go after he has switched it on but thats just getting used to it. he says hes looking for the throttle.

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
Thanks all- its reassuring that others too are on their scooters and seems ok with them. so just have to keep close eye on OH- Just need huge L Plates and a warning siren ,

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
I am recovering from having had my foot run over by mobility scooter approx eight weeks ago when I did not quite get out of the way quickly enough. Scooter approached from behind and of course was totally silent - driver was impatient to cross to the other side of the road and unwilling to wait for green man sign. He laughed and shouted that I did not get out of his way quickly enough. This happened on the pavement - then he sped off across the road.

I appreciate that mobility scooters are a godsend when used responsibly and as a pedestrian I always give give them enough space but I do wish they were not silent.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I am recovering from having had my foot run over by mobility scooter approx eight weeks ago when I did not quite get out of the way quickly enough. Scooter approached from behind and of course was totally silent - driver was impatient to cross to the other side of the road and unwilling to wait for green man sign. He laughed and shouted that I did not get out of his way quickly enough. This happened on the pavement - then he sped off across the road.

I appreciate that mobility scooters are a godsend when used responsibly and as a pedestrian I always give give them enough space but I do wish they were not silent.
they do have horns that they can sound on them. i have one that is the only way i can go out but there are a lot of people that think they are entitled and have the right of way. no they dont, you take your turn just like everyone else whether on foot or wheels. i always say that i dont forget manners and common courtesy just because i have wheels. i go at walking pace or slower if crowded. i can use the bus with mine. i appreciate the gift that i have. the only thing that annoys me is when someone walks right in front of me or push past me, the same if i was walking or pushing a babys buggy

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
My OH getting a road Mobility scooter , 4-8 mph with the whole works and its fairly big, I will be getting insurance for him - just in case something happens, not sure if he be better on the road or path- for the first part we make sure he can drive it correctly before letting him loose,