Should Mum have flu jab?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
That can't be new as our pharmacy has given us the flu jab for years now, and yes, it's free for carers.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
ASDA in Bury, Lancs are advertising free flu jabs to anybody with an NHS entitlement.

I had mine a fortnight ago at my GPs.

DMac

Jul 18, 2015
Surrey, UK
That can't be new as our pharmacy has given us the flu jab for years now, and yes, it's free for carers.

I think what is different this year is that the vaccination service via community pharmacies is now NHS funded. The following comes from the PSNC website:

PSNC has reached agreement with the NHS on a community pharmacy funding settlement worth £2.8 billion for the 2015/16 financial year. The agreement sees the introduction of a new Advanced Service – a flu vaccination service – along with some changes to the Community Pharmacy Contractual Framework (CPCF).

The flu vaccination service will launch in September 2015 and from that point community pharmacies will be able to offer NHS flu vaccinations to adult patients aged 18 and over at the time of vaccination, who are defined as at risk in the Annual Flu letter (which includes patients aged 65 years old and over).

I'm just writing from my own (limited) experience, but I did pay for my 'flu jab last year, and this year I didn't need to! It may just help someone else out there who did not realise this!

tweetypie

Mar 16, 2012
I sometimes feel I always have a difference of opinion - lol

My mum's had Alzheimer's for approx' 15 yrs now. She's been in the current care home for over 5 yrs now.

They didn't use to ask me about the flu jab but started to about 3 yrs ago.

Now I have tried to keep mum to have things as I know she would have wanted to have things, she's always been very, very fussy and had extremely strong opinions on medicines - she would never take antibiotics and definitely not have flu jabs!

So I have said no but when we applied to have her care homes fees paid for, I forget the name for this - sorry - and saw a social worker and health visitor or similar they had a real go at me for not allowing flu jabs.

The social workers reasoning was that if mum caught flu she would suffer.

Personally I think she's suffering more by lying in a bed for over 3 yrs, looking like someone who's been in a concentration camp (I cannot believe anyone can still be alive whilst they are literally just skin and bone) - to me this is not a life in any sense of the word.

She doesn't speak, there's no form of communication and I just want it to end ASAP for her.

I thought if she got flu it would hopefully bring her suffering to an end more quickly.

But then I thought about it and started to feel really guilty. So I now say yes to it, even though I know she would be extremely angry to be given this!

I am diabetic and am entitled to flu jab too - but the first time I had this, the side I was injected on got flu and I was so ill for the next 24 hrs I was off work! So since then I've never had the jab again!

Let's hope I never go in a care home!

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
We said no to the flu jab for the last couple of years of our mother's life - she died in the summer at 97 and had been in a most pitiful state of advanced dementia for some time. We knew her former self would have said the same. Nobody at the care home tried to change our minds.