should i tell my mum (who suffers from Alzheimer) that my dad is dead?

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by M_M, Mar 15, 2015.

1. M_M

M_M Registered User

Apr 12, 2013
    Hi all,
    just a piece of advice ... my dad died of cancer yesterday.. before falling ill he was my mum main carer.. he is her focal point..she always looks for him.. I now don't know whether we should tell her is dead or keep on inventing is out .. any of you have had a similar experience?
    thank you

2. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    My condolences. This comes up quite often. The general consensus is to use love lies instead of telling the truth and thus making her go through grief over and over again. There is really nothing gained by it.

3. Raggedrobin

Raggedrobin Registered User

Jan 20, 2014
    I would say tell her, once, that he is gone, and then after that when she thinks he is still alive, to start using the love lies then, perhaps.
    It is a terrible situation and I am sorry for your loss. The other side of the distress of loss is I notice my Mum quite often revives people who are dead, thinks she sees them or whatever, i just go along with it.

4. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    Couldn't have put it better myself, totally agree with ragged.
    K

5. M_M

M_M Registered User

Apr 12, 2013
    thank you all