Should I Take Dad Out Of The Care Home So We I Can Enjoy A Birthday Lunch?

Angela57

Jan 22, 2016
No, you dont stop caring when they go into a care home - there is still so much to do.
People who have not been in that position dont seem to understand that

Good luck with your return to working. What do you sing/play?
I totally agree canary. Both my parents are in homes, so some responsibility has gone, but there is plenty of responsibility left to deal with, and the worry with each decline remains the same.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou everyone for the birthday wishes! The whole weekend went very well. I went to see dad yesterday and showed him the birthday cards and presents from my eldest brother and his family and I told him about today. I also brought apples from the garden and I left dad at dinner time. I then went for a meal out with my friends happy in the knowledge that dad was being well looked after. Today we arrived at the care home and dad was already to go. On the way into town dad kept remarking on how lovely everything was and in the restaurant he carried on repeating himself and most of all he had a good meal. We then had a quick drive along the seafront before going back to the care home where I opened a few presents and we all enjoyed some cake. I left dad fast a sleep in the lounge and safe in the knowledge that we can take him out again.

Just one thing though my brother said that he would take dad to the gents in the restaurant but he showed dad where the toilets were and let him get on with it! Now my brother's partner and I were sitting at the when she got a phone call from my brother saying to meet outside the restaurant because dad was taking a long time. Therefore I went to the toilets to see if everything was alright and I founf my brother sitting outside confirming that everything was okay although dad was taking a long time so I knocked on the toilet door to see if dad was okay after having realised that dad had locked himself in a ladies cubicle! Anyway dad came out having remembered how to unlock the door and making me breathe a sigh of relief. Anyhow those who are inexperienced at caring are unlikely to realise that a PWD is likely to lock themselves in the toilet but they willeventually learn the hard way.

MaNaAk

Angela57

Jan 22, 2016
I'm so happy for you that you've had a lovely experience and you will always have lovely memories about your birthday weekend x

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im so glad that you had a lovely birthday and it sounds like it all went splendidly - even if your dad did lock himself in the ladies!!

Whe you take your dad out again you might do well to get him to use the disabled toilets - I used to in with Mum to make sure she was OK. There are public disabled toilets too. They need a radar key, but you can get them from various places - I got mine from ebay.

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
Sounds like you had a wonderful birthday weekend. The icing on the cake being that your dad was able to join in and enjoy the celebrations. :)

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thanks once again everyone! I shall have to educate my brothers about getting dad to use the disabled toilets as well.

MaNaAk