Should I move my mum?

theunknown

Apr 17, 2015
I want to leave my mum where she is. I like the care home, and haven't personally come across any problems. However, this week I saw a headline in my local paper which stated that an elderly lady had died from hyperthermia in the care home I chose for my mum. This was shocking to me, but then I found out that the room the resident was in is the one my mum is occupying. It turns out that the death happened in 2012, so of course we're a few years down the line. You'd hope that the care company would be particularly careful now, but am I wrong to carry on using it? Anybody have any opinions on this?

Lisa

Emac

Mar 2, 2013
Hi Lisa I understand your concerns. my Mum has recently gone into care and I know how vulnerable and anxious you can feel when you hand over care and responsibility to someone else. My own thoughts are that I would be inclined to go with your own experience of this care home. The newspaper report is from three years ago and you don't have the full facts of the newspaper story. Most newspapers are not known for balanced reporting! Even if the care home was at fault that doesn't mean there are still issues now. You could always check up on the home's reputation by asking to view the care commission inspectors reports. These are available online and I am sure someone on here will e able to give you the link to the website. The Home should also have a copy available for you to read. You don't say how long your Mum has been in the home or how you chose it? You do say she is happy there so that is a strong reason not to move her as with dementia she would most likely be unsettled by any change. I wouldn't worry about it being the same room unless you think this particular room is cold or badly heated. Sadly with care homes all the rooms will have had residents pass away in them.:(

theunknown

Apr 17, 2015
Thanks Emac, for your reply. Your're basically saying what I'm thinking. The care home has had a good quality check-up since this happened in 2012. I've been happy with any staff members I've come across, and I'd far rather my mum stayed in the home, rather than be moved to a strange place.

Emac

Mar 2, 2013
Thanks Emac, for your reply. Your're basically saying what I'm thinking. The care home has had a good quality check-up since this happened in 2012. I've been happy with any staff members I've come across, and I'd far rather my mum stayed in the home, rather than be moved to a strange place.

Some times we know what we think but we just need someone else to validate it for us, and the forums are great for that. They are also good for hearing suggestions on how to dig a little deeper for reassurance if that helps. Care homes can change over time both for the better and for the worse, so it is good to keep an eye on things generally.

Grable

May 19, 2015
You could also talk to the people at the care home to find out their side of the story and what they have put in place to stop the situation from recurring.