Should I insist on Day Centre?

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by Zsazsa, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Scarlett123

Scarlett123 Registered User

Apr 30, 2013
    Essex
    I couldn't have managed without Day Centres. My sleep was disturbed so much, that I longed to have a couple of hours in the day, and Day Centres helped enormously. It was a battle getting him a place, and then £9 an hour (!), some of which we paid, and some was paid by Social Services, but so worth it.

2. LAP

LAP Registered User

Nov 23, 2010
    Tyne & Wear
    Take anything on offer, you don't know when you need more help. My husband wasn't keen in November but I insisted and he has been now 4 times, every Tuesday.
    Last week I was told I had to have a brain operation on Feb 4th, social services no help, would have only sent carers in a few times each day so husband would have been on his own most of the time and certainly overnight. What a nightmare! However he has agreed to go to the respite area within the day centre. He can go downstairs to the day centre every morning if he so wishes, I do believe he will because he likes the staff. At least I know that he will be very well looked after, and safe . friends / relatives are able to pick him up in the afternoon and evening to come into the hospital to see me, which will allay his fears I hope.
    If he hadnt been to the day care centre we would have had a major problem getting respite care for him in a place he hasn't visited.
    So whatever is on offer, take it. You never know when you will need it. My situation came as a GREAT shock.
    Best of luck
    Lillian