Should I get Health and Welfare LPA for Dad?

Long-Suffering

Jul 6, 2015
Mum and I already have joint Property and Financial Affairs LPA for dad, but we didn't get the health and welfare one at the same time. It's so ironic because at the time I was just worried about my parents having access to each other's money in a sudden emergency, so mum and I have LPA for dad and dad and I have LPA for mum. I never suspected dad would ever get dementia, let alone so soon after. This was just two years ago and just before dad's dementia appeared seemingly from nowhere. He said to me at the time, "Don't worry about the health and welfare one - I don't think either me or your mother is going to go doo-lally before next summer, so we can get it done then." But that is exactly what ended up happening.

I am wondering now if I should try to get the health and welfare one for dad at least and mum too if she would accept it. Does dad have to be of sound mind to sign the form, or if they decide he is too far gone already with his dementia, is it too late?

Also, has anyone here got one and actually used it? How necessary is it? I can see the necessity of the financial one, but the benefits of the health and welfare one aren't so obvious to me. Thanks.

LS

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
Mum and I already have joint Property and Financial Affairs LPA for dad, but we didn't get the health and welfare one at the same time. It's so ironic because at the time I was just worried about my parents having access to each other's money in a sudden emergency, so mum and I have LPA for dad and dad and I have LPA for mum. I never suspected dad would ever get dementia, let alone so soon after. This was just two years ago and just before dad's dementia appeared seemingly from nowhere. He said to me at the time, "Don't worry about the health and welfare one - I don't think either me or your mother is going to go doo-lally before next summer, so we can get it done then." But that is exactly what ended up happening.

I am wondering now if I should try to get the health and welfare one for dad at least and mum too if she would accept it. Does dad have to be of sound mind to sign the form, or if they decide he is too far gone already with his dementia, is it too late?

Also, has anyone here got one and actually used it? How necessary is it? I can see the necessity of the financial one, but the benefits of the health and welfare one aren't so obvious to me. Thanks.

LS

Hi! Absolutely yes. I care for my dad who has dementia...and i believe both are important.

Ive seen too many people not have a say in their loved ones care!!..to be a relative or next of kin is not enough nowadays.
Dont know about others but my dad seems to be able to fool some medical professionals unintenrionally of course..hed reply if asked that hes ok etc..then seconds after appointment wouldnt even now what what!...

Theres no way i could sit back and allow ss to decide on my dads care..if the old capacity debate comes up...of course hed like to go where hed like to...but if its not suitable etc..and he needs more help....at least ive got authority to speak with his best interest at heart!

Best wishes

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app

Spiro

Mar 11, 2012
If you want to see NHS hospital notes for any reason, then you might not be given access to them without POA for Health and Welfare.

Bearing in mind that you can only act as an attorney after the person loses capacity.

Last edited: