Should I be having yearly reviews re my mums care plan at her care home?

KDK

Jun 20, 2016
Kent
My mum has been in her care home for 2 years now. It is a very good care home with a very good reputation.
However, I have some concerns as there appears to be no real communication with relatives and I wonder if this is normal?
My mum moved into the care home in May 2017 and I had a review with the Manager in October that year. Since then that Manager has left the care home and I haven't had a review since. I am planning on asking what the situation is but just wondered if this was normal in other care homes?
Also my mum is in a different house at night, currently she is in there with 2 other men and i have heard that another man will be moving in. Previously there have been other women in there. The carer's who look after her at night think that this is having a detrimental effect on her, and she has deteriorated quite a bit over the last few months.
I have also noticed that during the day in the main house there isn't always a carer in one of the houses.
Just niggles really as I do think she is being looked after well and can't fault the actual carers, but am just after a bit of morale support really as to whether this is standard for a care home or if there is something lacking.
Thanks
K

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Care plans should be reviewed fairly regularly but I'm not sure that there's a 'standard' length of time but maybe every 6 months or so if the person had been there a while and there had been no changes in care needs might be about right. My Mum has been in 2 care homes and the communication was good but to be fair I did also instigate quite a bit of that myself, by visiting regularly and always asking the staff/manager if there were any issues. The communications needs to go both ways and if you haven't been asking the questions yourself they may feel that you are happy with the current care plan.

The fact that your Mum is now in a male only residence at night, has deteriorated and the care staff are saying that this is having a detrimental effect on her, would be more than just a 'niggle' for me. It's difficult when you have no previous experience of care homes but I'd recommend that you speak to the new manager to request a care plan review so that you can discuss your Mum's care & living arrangements.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
The setting sounds quite different to anything I visited when looking for my dad. In dad's NH reviews of the care plan were encouraged each month if the relative wanted. I always did...I visited every other day so pretty much knew what was happening but each month I would read through the notes which were logged daily. Sometimes if I either had a concern or just wanted to see if dad had not been wandering the previous night etc I could see the notes at any time. An annual review was also given. If your mum needs a care setting presumably with good reason for 24 hr support I would be very concerned that sometimes no carer at all is in the house...however their care system is set up. The ratio of men and women is usually quite fluid...residents move out...pass away...but if the carers have noticed this is having an effect on your mum then it should be addressed and I would speak to the manager about tgat also. I was always very proactive and asked questions...maybe the home think you are happy with everything if you don't mention any concerns and that the care plan is adequate. So I would ask for review.

KDK

Jun 20, 2016
Kent
The setting sounds quite different to anything I visited when looking for my dad. In dad's NH reviews of the care plan were encouraged each month if the relative wanted. I always did...I visited every other day so pretty much knew what was happening but each month I would read through the notes which were logged daily. Sometimes if I either had a concern or just wanted to see if dad had not been wandering the previous night etc I could see the notes at any time. An annual review was also given. If your mum needs a care setting presumably with good reason for 24 hr support I would be very concerned that sometimes no carer at all is in the house...however their care system is set up. The ratio of men and women is usually quite fluid...residents move out...pass away...but if the carers have noticed this is having an effect on your mum then it should be addressed and I would speak to the manager about tgat also. I was always very proactive and asked questions...maybe the home think you are happy with everything if you don't mention any concerns and that the care plan is adequate. So I would ask for review.

Hi
Thanks for your reply. It is very helpful, one of the carers did say that maybe they think everything is ok because I haven't said anything. This is fair enough but I am concerned that reviews don't seem to be in place. I will definitely ask for one. I worry that they have become very much more a business since the previous Manager left, and seem a bit vain about their outstanding status.
Although one of the carers that I get on well with says it is a really good care home in her experience. I don't see any notes, they use an online system that shows icons! But this isn't very transparent so I don't really bother using it. I only seem to find things out when I ask or one of the carers in the house she sleeps in tells me something. In my mind this isn't good enough. Thanks for your support, I will ask for that review asap.

K x

KDK

Jun 20, 2016
Kent
Care plans should be reviewed fairly regularly but I'm not sure that there's a 'standard' length of time but maybe every 6 months or so if the person had been there a while and there had been no changes in care needs might be about right. My Mum has been in 2 care homes and the communication was good but to be fair I did also instigate quite a bit of that myself, by visiting regularly and always asking the staff/manager if there were any issues. The communications needs to go both ways and if you haven't been asking the questions yourself they may feel that you are happy with the current care plan.

The fact that your Mum is now in a male only residence at night, has deteriorated and the care staff are saying that this is having a detrimental effect on her, would be more than just a 'niggle' for me. It's difficult when you have no previous experience of care homes but I'd recommend that you speak to the new manager to request a care plan review so that you can discuss your Mum's care & living arrangements.

Hi
Thanks for your reply. I probably have just kept my head down as I don't feel a connection with the new manager but I have just emailed and asked for a review. Thanks for your support.
K

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Hi
Thanks for your reply. It is very helpful, one of the carers did say that maybe they think everything is ok because I haven't said anything. This is fair enough but I am concerned that reviews don't seem to be in place. I will definitely ask for one. I worry that they have become very much more a business since the previous Manager left, and seem a bit vain about their outstanding status.
Although one of the carers that I get on well with says it is a really good care home in her experience. I don't see any notes, they use an online system that shows icons! But this isn't very transparent so I don't really bother using it. I only seem to find things out when I ask or one of the carers in the house she sleeps in tells me something. In my mind this isn't good enough. Thanks for your support, I will ask for that review asap.

K x
Before your review write a few bullet points of any concerns you would like to discuss to remind yourself and hopefully it will be a productive review for you and your mum. Then if you are happy with how things go...try and be proactive and look at her notes regularly...ask as soon as something worries you so it can be nipped in the bud early on and the manager and carers will become used to you wanting to be involved and a good working relationship and understanding will quickly develop. Praise where you feel it is due also but ensure they take your main worries on board and how they can improve for your mum.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
My mother has been in a care home for just over a year. We had an 'official' planned review after 3 months, but since that time I get updates by seeking out the manager/senior carer when I visit and chatting to them, so I don't feel I need a planned meeting. I'm sure if you ask to meet the manager she'll be happy to update you - definitely a good idea to mention you aren't happy with the current night-time arrangements. And I agree with the previous poster that I would not be happy if there isn't always a carer present during the day.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My mum was in her care home for nearly 3 years. There was an official review once her move became permanent, but after that there wasnt another official one at all. I used to chat to the carers and the manager and that is how I found things out and I used to ask if there were any concerns. If there were any concerns (either mine or the staffs) then it would be discussed with the manager immediately.

I too would guess that they think everything is OK because you havent said anything. Just speak to the manager, say that there are a few things that you would like to discuss and could you have a meeting? There shouldnt be any problem.