Should I be concerned?

john1939

Sep 21, 2017
Newtownabbey
Hello again.
Today I took my wife to a large department store so that she could browse around for an hour or two.
I positioned myself in the cafe which has a good view of the door so that I could keep a check against her leaving the store.
I gave her a small amount of money as I like to keep going the fiction that she has her own money and is independent.
She engaged in conversation with a security officer as we left the store and I overheard the word"knife".
We arrived home, and as she took her coat off I glanced into her handbag and was concerned that she had bought an 8 inch carving knife. She does no cooking whatsoever and when I challenged her about it she became evasive.
At the first opportunity I will secretly confiscate this knife and confer with her GP.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I would do as you have done and don’t mention it again. Don’t give any encouragement to obsess about it. Whatever was in her mind will go and move on to something else.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
I agree with marionq - thank goodness you heard the word and saw into the handbag - but who knows, she may have been harking back to when she cooked hearty meals and needed such a knife
maybe, though, it is time to be more vigilant during her shopping sprees - let her think you very much enjoy shopping with her, it's a treat for you

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I think you did the right thing it maybe something or nothing. She probably seemed evasive if she most likely couldn't remember what the reason was for buying it. Apart from that it sounds a good shopping trip

john1939

Sep 21, 2017
Newtownabbey
Hello, The worrisome thing is that she had a history of violence against me, not with a knife, but with a kitchen roll wooden holder which she used as a club. She is on 17 pills per day which include anti depressives, tranquilisers, blood pressure and cholesterol control.
Her mood is on a knife edge and I have to watch for any sign that might indicate a violent episode.
Strangely when she first became violent, the GP was very reluctant to believe that her behaviour was abnormal, it took a mental professional to make the diagnosis.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Hello, The worrisome thing is that she had a history of violence against me, not with a knife, but with a kitchen roll wooden holder which she used as a club. She is on 17 pills per day which include anti depressives, tranquilisers, blood pressure and cholesterol control.
Her mood is on a knife edge and I have to watch for any sign that might indicate a violent episode.
In that case perhaps if you repeat the department store trip shop with her and avoid the kitchen utensil area might be a good idea. If you feel unsafe at home if your wife becomes violent towards you phone the police. Others may have more advice based on your latest post

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
Are you sure she bought the knife? Had she spent some money, was there a receipt? Many times when I am in department stores there is a man doing demonstrations and he gives knives away at the end. Might be an explanation. Keep yourself safe.