Short term memory concerns

rogertb

Sep 19, 2018
Hi chaps, I am fit and well 68 year old male, recently my short term memory has been of concern, I can be sitting in front of the tv and think "I must email so-and-so about something" and moments later I have forgotten what I was going to do, sometimes the memory returns quickly other times it never comes back. Looking at other az symptoms I don't fel I have any obvious ones, is there something I should be doing to keep a check on the progress of this situation... ? thanks for you help ... Roger

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hi chaps, I am fit and well 68 year old male, recently my short term memory has been of concern, I can be sitting in front of the tv and think "I must email so-and-so about something" and moments later I have forgotten what I was going to do, sometimes the memory returns quickly other times it never comes back. Looking at other az symptoms I don't fel I have any obvious ones, is there something I should be doing to keep a check on the progress of this situation... ? thanks for you help ... Roger

Hi @rogertb I do that, I can be on the laptop and think Oh I must google whatever and by the time I have opened another tab whatever it was has left my head and it's gone. It might come back later but it might not. I think that is quite normal a bit like going up stairs to do something and when you get there you have forgotten what it was. I have done that all my adult life and that is quite a long time now.

If you are really concerned then book yourself an appointment with your GP but it sounds pretty normal to me. If you have a partner or close friend you could ask them if they have noticed anything and hopefully they would tell you if they have.

You will get other answers so wait and see.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Problems with memory can be caused by many different things like stress, depression, thyroid underaction or vitamin deficiency. If it is due to dementia there will be other changes, not just memory loss. Even if you are not aware of any other changes other people close to you will almost certainly have noticed if there have been.

Why not go and see your GP? The thyroid underaction and vitamin deficiency can be detected with a simple blood test.

rogertb

Sep 19, 2018
So good of you both to take the time, thank you ... quite reassuring really, nobody in the family has commented on anything (other than the usual what a pain I am) ... have good days x Roger