Shopping

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Yes! I used to do the same with dad and as for that Lambhorgini driver I wonder what his carbon footprint is like!

MaNaAk

nick97

Feb 16, 2020
Yeah @MaNaAk I guess we can laugh after the event, but they sure aren't funny at the time! :p ?

The real problem is the social distancing; mum has no clue to wait behind the tape all the shops have put down. When I mention my mum has Alzheimer's, it's hit-and-miss as to whether people understand or not. Oh well. C'est la vie.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Pavements round our way are narrow too. I live on a busy road, but today I crossed over and back several times on my way into town to get a few things no bother. Shop (Marks) was quiet though I had to queue for about a minute to get in. Got home and realised I could have done with some salad leaves. Never mind. we'll have to do without. My husband is cycling into work this week, and says that though the roads are quieter it is still dangerous as cars are going far too fast in what are supposed to be 20 mph zones.
Causey is an interesting word, not heard that since I lived in Nottingham. Aye up me duck!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Daughter has just delivered my weekly food pack.
Everything well stocked in supermarket except that some products have been withdrawn, I'm now on semi skimmed not skimmed milk, prefer it to LL skimmed which is in stock, I also have a back up stock of LL.

Getting in was the problem, half the car park cordoned off with upturned trolleys and hazard tape, marked out with floor tape to form a serpentine queue with people allowed in on a 'one out' - 'one in' basis.
This meant a 4 hour queue in the rain.

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Causey is an interesting word, not heard that since I lived in Nottingham. Aye up me duck!

@Sarasa I once worked with a man for a few weeks who lived in doncaster but originated from Nottingham and he used say aye up me duck when he came in on a morning and used to greet customers Morning/afternoon me duck.
Round here its more often Eyup c@ck, cocker or luv or sometimes flower. My sisters husband, who was from darn sarf, said first time he went in a pub here in yorkshire he was surprised when barman said What can a get yer cock? Funny how we can have so many different sayings in one country isn't it,

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I do the same - walk in the road or cross over - when people are heading towards me. I've noticed that a lot of people seem to have no idea how long 2 metres is, with some seemingly mistaking it for 2 feet :(

I've been sticking to the smaller local shops for a few weeks now but thought I'd venture to the large Tesco today thinking that things might have calmed down a bit since I was last there. Although people were queuing better than they were last time the queue was much longer, stretching all the way round the car park and almost on to the road. Decided to give it a miss ........
i went on saturday as no special open hours about 9 and didnt have to queue.saw council grass cutters on machines parked side by side across a pathway.sure it wasnt 2 metres apart and nobody could get passed them. i go and get the papers and use it for exercise as well

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Yeah @MaNaAk I guess we can laugh after the event, but they sure aren't funny at the time! :p ?

The real problem is the social distancing; mum has no clue to wait behind the tape all the shops have put down. When I mention my mum has Alzheimer's, it's hit-and-miss as to whether people understand or not. Oh well. C'est la vie.

This is why I feel for everyone having to go through all of this because much as I miss my darling dad he would not be able to put up with this and even if he had still been in the home he would have driven the carers mad. I'm just grateful that when the end came he still remembered me.

MaNaAk

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
This is why I feel for everyone having to go through all of this because much as I miss my darling dad he would not be able to put up with this and even if he had still been in the home he would have driven the carers mad. I'm just grateful that when the end came he still remembered me.

MaNaAk
that must have been the one consulation remembering your name. when i worked in a care home i said happy birthday christmas and they didnt know.my husband is getting more confused i had to show him how to work the remote control

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
that must have been the one consulation remembering your name. when i worked in a care home i said happy birthday christmas and they didnt know.my husband is getting more confused i had to show him how to work the remote control

Dear Jenny,

It is such a horrible illness and it takes a very special person like you to get through it.

MaNaAk

nick97

Feb 16, 2020
Heart sank going shopping today to see checkout queues at Sainsbury's... though fortunately managed to snag a self-checkout till without needing to wait, and thankfully my mum didn't try to go wondering off while I was scanning.

Though I lost my temper a little bit in Home Bargains; checkout lady - who in my opinion should have been more understanding - told my oblivious mum to wait behind the line; upon mentioning my mum's Alzheimer's, lady kinda visibly sighed and grumbled, and I just retorted "well it's not her fault is it."

I felt a little bad... but this is just so stressful at the moment, for all of us dealing with this. Really hope these restrictions get relaxed soon ?

Toyah

Apr 6, 2020
I've decided to self isolate from today because my husband has other health problems as well as the dementia. I looked just now about getting deliveries from Tesco. No time slots until 4th April! Looked at click and collect so my daughter could collect for me still no time slots till end of month. So the advice to shop online where possible isn't going to work. I'm going to have to risk doing it myself but I'm wondering what is going to be the quietest time to go.
I find Sainsbury’s is the best the have an hour shopping 8.00 till 9.00 for pensioners they are strict about distancing but shelves are well stocked. One thing to remember they are only allowing one person at a time to do the shopping.

Andrew_McP

Mar 2, 2016
South Northwest
I've got my first ever online delivery coming today, from Iceland. Tuesday I set up an account and made up an order, but there were no delivery slots. But I kept randomly looking, and on Wednesday morning at about 10:15 all of the next day's slots were suddenly available, so I got my chance to top up on some frozen food and basics.

They're missing a few things (bananas for Mum's secretly healthy-ish puddings) and bread's a bit of a lottery, but at least we'll have some bread & fresh milk again, and the freezer will be topped up with veg. Mind you, I had a bit of a panic yesterday and had to defrost the fridge/freezer... amazing how much more they hold when not "a bit frosted up".

Anyway, that info might help someone. I've had no luck with my Tesco slot-finding, but if our reserves start to dwindle too much I'll activate the priority ordering I'm trying to not to clog up for now.

Someone also told me that if you look on Google Maps there are pretty good 'live-ish' queuing/busy-ness indicators for supermarkets now (anonymous data from phones, like their travel info). Mum fell asleep early last night so I took a calculated risk and whizzed out to check, only to embarrass myself by missing where the queue began and thinking there wasn't one. There were plenty of folk out there in line at 9:15 so I sheepishly turned round and legged it back home before Mum stirred. Random hanging around does not fit my lifestyle, so my first outing for 3.5 weeks wasn't successful.

At least I got 2 miles and half an hour's worth of decent exercise for a change... and it was rather special (in a weird but nice way) to be walking down a normally busy road that only had me on it. Not a car in sight until I got to Tesco and discovered where they were all hiding. :)

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knola28