Shopping

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Managed to get a click & collect slot for monday morning and I'm hoping that as its in morning they may have more available than later in day and maybe we'll get most of what we ordered. We've decided to do that rather than go to supermarket in person tomorrow, we can last till Monday and will only need to pop to local shop for couple of things and can go later when not as busy. We also got a home delivery for next friday which if get most of what we need then won't need to go next saturday either or if do won't be for much so won't be out as long.
We've never done a click and collect before so wondering what we do. if we'll need to take bags or trolley to pick up point or if already in the, its all new but hopefully less stressful and less contact with people than if we go to supermarket in person tomorrow. ? Just need to explain to mum (pwd) where her shopping is tomorrow now.

mrs-o

Nov 29, 2012
So difficult at the moment. My husband has Alzheimers with epilepsy and very high blood pressure. We are 'self isolating' and not shopping, so reliant on others. I've never had to rely on others (usually the other way round) and feel very uncomfortable and exposed, asking others for help. Not that others have been adverse to helping, just not used to it. We have been fortunate to get a click and collect slot at Tesco for next Saturday (others will collect on our behalf) but thousands of people who needs these services are being forced to shop in the company of others, against all medical advice. And still the same people, every day, are queuing and stripping the shelves, over and over again, are depriving the people who need just a few groceries to see them though. It makes me very angry and stressed, however, thankfully, my husband no longer can remember for long enough what is happening. He does realise that I am more stressed but doesn't understand why and thinks it's his fault. Obviously, it's not his fault, or anyone's fault but please let us share resources.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Id just like to mention that I went to the local shop for some bread for lunch, and not only did they have bread, but they had eggs and toilet paper too - and it wasnt the thin and treacherous type, either! ??

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Jealous ? Haven’t been able to get any toilet rolls for weeks ! Kids are worried as I’m saving newspaper .

edit to add : they don’t remember the tracing paper type stuff we had in school .

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
When I was on my YTS at 16 the ladies I worked with would often send me out to local shops for bits for them. The local bread shop wrapped uncut loaves in tissue paper and they all saved it and brought it back to work. I wondered why at first and the boss told me her Aunt came to collect it and used it as toilet paper. She cut it in squares, stitched through to put a loop of thread through one corner of all sheets together and hung it on a hook by her toilet. She called it luxury toilet paper as she'd grown up using newspaper. I was quite shocked as I'd never heard of that and grown up with a regular supply of Andrex.
I have a large pile of white tissue paper I used for wrapping some of my orders in when I sold my crafts and last week when we were struggling to get loo rolls I told hubby if needs must I could do what she did and make tissue paper sheets.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i went to tesco this morning there was no queue to get in it was quite well stocked eggs toilet paper most of the things i needed and was well organised i went just after 9am

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I gave my local Tesco staff a box of Roses Chocs because I was standing in a queue outside and keeping my 2 metre distance and this lady came along not understanding why she had to queue and started being abusive to the staff. She was about sixty or sixty five and in a wheelchair/mobility vehicle which she reversed very quickly towards the road! She didn't appear to have dementia but she didn't appear to understand why we were queueing eventhough two people tried to explain why she had to queue.

MaNaAk

PS: I also noticed on my way to the shops people walking in the road to avoid catching anything from me!

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i walk to the newsagents and i cross the road if i see someone coming i still smile though. its weird but people just scuttle out and in their houses. i go early in the morning as my husband is very special [as i call him] is in for 12 weeks. just enough so the walls dont seem to crash in on me.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
I do the same - walk in the road or cross over - when people are heading towards me. I've noticed that a lot of people seem to have no idea how long 2 metres is, with some seemingly mistaking it for 2 feet :(

I've been sticking to the smaller local shops for a few weeks now but thought I'd venture to the large Tesco today thinking that things might have calmed down a bit since I was last there. Although people were queuing better than they were last time the queue was much longer, stretching all the way round the car park and almost on to the road. Decided to give it a miss ........

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Managed to get a click & collect slot for monday morning and I'm hoping that as its in morning they may have more available than later in day and maybe we'll get most of what we ordered. We've decided to do that rather than go to supermarket in person tomorrow, we can last till Monday and will only need to pop to local shop for couple of things and can go later when not as busy. We also got a home delivery for next friday which if get most of what we need then won't need to go next saturday either or if do won't be for much so won't be out as long.
We've never done a click and collect before so wondering what we do. if we'll need to take bags or trolley to pick up point or if already in the, its all new but hopefully less stressful and less contact with people than if we go to supermarket in person tomorrow. ? Just need to explain to mum (pwd) where her shopping is tomorrow now.
I did click collect at waitrose last year and everything was packed in bags ready in a trolley. Of course that may have changed

nick97

Feb 16, 2020
Shopping is a real nightmare with my mum at the moment; I actually dread going. But I can't stop her going out and going shopping.... it's just her routine. She has virtually no cognitive ability left, so she has zero idea about the virus, about social distancing and worse, she's always been one of those people who tries to blag her way to the front of a queue under the guise of "being late for the bus"...

But these days, her only vocabulary is literally "it's all the thing", so while I'm trying to stop my mum barging past people at the tills, she's just getting extremely agitated shouting "oh it's all the thing!" at everyone and it's just... oh my god. lol. Fortunately the staff at Sainsbury's know my mum isn't well so they're quite accommodating; sadly most other shops/customers aren't, and the looks we get just makes me want the ground to open up...

The prospect of this situation going on for months is just soul-crushing to me.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to DTP @nick97
That’s so difficult for you & as you’ll see around the forum, it’s very common. Please keep posting as you’ll get lots of support here.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear Nick,

Just ove
Shopping is a real nightmare with my mum at the moment; I actually dread going. But I can't stop her going out and going shopping.... it's just her routine. She has virtually no cognitive ability left, so she has zero idea about the virus, about social distancing and worse, she's always been one of those people who tries to blag her way to the front of a queue under the guise of "being late for the bus"...

But these days, her only vocabulary is literally "it's all the thing", so while I'm trying to stop my mum barging past people at the tills, she's just getting extremely agitated shouting "oh it's all the thing!" at everyone and it's just... oh my god. lol. Fortunately the staff at Sainsbury's know my mum isn't well so they're quite accommodating; sadly most other shops/customers aren't, and the looks we get just makes me want the ground to open up...

The prospect of this situation going on for months is just soul-crushing to me.

Dear Nick,

Just over a year ago I took dad for his diabetic review and the nurse also looked at his ears. It was decided that he needed to have his ears syringed so we had to make another appointment.

The surgery was very busy and we were at the front of the queue and listening to an awkward patient arguing with one of the receptionists. People were also trying to get past dad so I gently pushed him forward. He took this as a sign to get rid of the argumentative patient and said 'come on you' ve had your turn'.

I tried to get dad to stop but he carried on and suddenly another receptionist became free and I pushed dad towards her and whispered the word Alzheimers to the other patient who disappeared quite quickly. The other receptionist didn't need to say anything because of dad's 'help'. Dad passed away in June and is this now a funny memory.

MaNaAk

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
I did click collect at waitrose last year and everything was packed in bags ready in a trolley. Of course that may have changed
Thanks x Yes it was in bags in those plastic boxes they use for delivering and stocking shelves. I was actually quite impressed with the system. The hut you go to has a drive in spot next to it like a car port with a cover over. We pulled up gave details and she started to bring the boxes out while hubby and I loaded the boot. Each time she put box down we stood back and then she stood back while we removed bags then she switched boxes, we were careful not to touch the boxes and she had gloves on and we all tried to stay apart.
By the sound of it normally products aren't in carrier bags as being enviromentally friendly now tesco don't pack in bags nowadays so you'd unload from plastic boxes into your own bags/boot but because of virus they had put things in bags for life.

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
I went to Lidl today, and they had full shelves, the only thing they didn’t have was the fresh bakery products that are loose, also no hand sanitiser, but did have hand wash and paracetamol.

People were keeping distance, but I couldn’t wait to get out and back home.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I do the same - walk in the road or cross over - when people are heading towards me. I've noticed that a lot of people seem to have no idea how long 2 metres is, with some seemingly mistaking it for 2 feet :(

I've been sticking to the smaller local shops for a few weeks now but thought I'd venture to the large Tesco today thinking that things might have calmed down a bit since I was last there. Although people were queuing better than they were last time the queue was much longer, stretching all the way round the car park and almost on to the road. Decided to give it a miss ........

Dear @Louise7 and anybody else choosing to walk in the road to comply with social distancing!

Please be mindful of the fact that there are motorists who are speeding along quieter roads and I should have mentioned that on the way back from my shopping trip I saw a
a motorist in a lambhorgini going at a very fast speed. Anyone stepping off the pavement without looking would have been killed.

Please be careful

MaNaAk

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Thanks for the reminder to be careful @MaNaAk I live in London so am used to being very careful when stepping out into the road, although I have noticed a few drivers going excessively fast during the current lockdown. Perhaps they think that getting to their destination quicker will lower their risk of getting the virus or will make their journey seem more 'essential' if stopped by the police? :( I find that Lamborghini drivers seem to go at a very fast speed regardless of the circumstances but on the plus side you can usually hear them coming from some distance away!

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Causeys near where I live are narrow, in some places they barely fit two people, people often pass by stepping into road, now some will cross over instead of passing, but some still go into road but now go out much farther into road. A lot of the time people don't look if anythings coming before stepping out. Our road and quite a few others are windy so you don't see whats coming till quite close in places. I've been a nervous passenger for years and tend to be a bit Hyacinth Bucketish in pointing out potential hazards to hubby and now I'm even more on alert. I f I see people walking on causey and see someone else walking near them I'm always saying 'watch out they might step in road to pass'.

Last edited: