Shopping

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
I'm going to take my chaces with shopping at about 3am in the morning as I'm worried about relying on home deliveries,as it sounds if your lucky enough to get a slot it may be a month away and what happens if it arrives but with hardly anything in stock and you get next to nothing on the doorstep!
I bet it will still be busy at 3am but less so than in the day and at least they stock up during the night

yorkie46

Jan 28, 2014
Southampton
I've decided to self isolate from today because my husband has other health problems as well as the dementia. I looked just now about getting deliveries from Tesco. No time slots until 4th April! Looked at click and collect so my daughter could collect for me still no time slots till end of month. So the advice to shop online where possible isn't going to work. I'm going to have to risk doing it myself but I'm wondering what is going to be the quietest time to go.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I am self isolating and have set up my own system.
I have 2 daughters both living ~10 miles away.
I usually have a list pinned on a board of what to get on next shop.
I have started a simple blog restricted to myself and daughters with all three having authorship rights.
My list is now on the blog so daughters can negotiate, tick items off, buy, and deliver them to my house.
I have a good stock of everything except perishables so those and top ups will be the main requests.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
Although online shopping services are overwhelmed, if already registered with them, Ocado are still good. Can take a long time to access the site (I leave the tab open and do other things) I have yet to see what dates are available, but at least with working from home, I am around more. At the moment they won't bring the bags into the flat because of the virus, which is understandable but may be an issue for those with disabilities

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
I have my Tesco slots booked for the next 4 weeks, if you book ahead it is easier to find available slots.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I've booked my Ocado slots for the next few weeks. I'm hoping things will have calmed down by then. I must say looking at their little van going across the screen while I wait to access the site is almost as therapeutic as watching a washing machine go round.

Mydarlingdaughter

Oct 25, 2019
North East England UK
If you check your Tesco order the day before it’s due you can see what items are out of stock and then substitute what you like.
if you don’t ask for “Do not” substitute”
the packer will choose a similar item instead...
Instead of leaving you with no bread for example.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
The 5 items I mentioned were - No appropriate substitution available. They were all still in the basket last night at 11.00pm.
I was talking to the driver and he said it's crazy, they have loads of stock in the warehouse, just can't keep the shelves stocked.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
they have loads of stock in the warehouse, just can't keep the shelves stocked.

ASDA have discontinued 24hr opening, shutting at midnight except on Saturdays when its 22:00.

The reason given is to clean stores and stock shelves.

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
I've just got back from the shops and it's a lot quieter today,I suppose a lot of people have purchased their back up stock now and for a lot of people they will only have so much money or space to store to do that so perhaps it will get a bit easier.
Of course the shelves were nearly empty but saying that they have been for the last week or so and that didn't stop masses of people packing out the stores in a panic before,today it's certainly seemed more relaxed.
I even wore my mask today to protect me as I have T2 diabetes

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Quiet in my local store - no pasta, rice, loo rolls etc but plenty of fresh fruit and veg, fish and meat, limited milk and bread. I hope you are indeed right @occupied99

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
My sister works evenings for Tesco. Last night when the store closed the only shelves still fully stocked were sun cream and light bulbs. She was upset by people’s selfishness.
I haven’t shopped since last Monday. Fingers crossed there’s essentials there when I go tomorrow morning

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
I'm trying to keep away from the crowds at the supermarkets so am now sticking to the local smaller convenience stores and other independent shops. My local corner shop still has a reasonably good supply of loo rolls and bread, eggs and milk so worth trying the smaller shops if you can't find something that you need in the supermarkets.

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
Have seen that our local Tesco Superstore normally open all night is closing at 10pm as from tonight. I've been running round this morning looking for a bit more long-life milk for my 86 yrs old dad as only had three smallish cartons which won't last long. I eventually managed to get three cartons but took me absolutely ages to get them.
Dropped dads shop off this afternoon he moaned his Bananas not quite ripe !! if only dad knew how much effort is needed to get his shop right now I feel totally exhausted as having to shop for myself and partner too.
My local community is very good and we have a Facebook page people did advise me as to where I might get some milk and actually offered to look for me and get me some if they found any. One young lady even offered to leave me a carton outside her door which I did decline given I got some but how lovely is that.
Some stuff like Baked Beans and Tinned Fruit is still available in corner shop so I'm going to get some and drop into the local church for them to distribute to people struggling to shop.
Just had a call from my Vet as I was really worried about getting medication for my little dog as she is Epileptic he has assured me they have no problem at the moment but has arranged for me to collect a bit more of her medication in order to ease my mind even offered to bring it to me if necessary but I will collect when it comes in. The kindness around is overwhelming. Sending hugs or perhaps should be elbow bumps to everyone on here.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
My Tesco delivery today was missing all veg , different eggs and bread but still got some . The driver said he was actually helping the staff get my Order off cages coming off the Lorry. He also said that all branches are now opening 5am- 10pm , no more 24hr as staff are getting hurt trying to stock shelves by customers pushing them out of the way ? and also gives them a chance to re stock shelves. No bread , tinned food, milk , pasta in 3 of my local shops .

Vitesse

Oct 26, 2016
I've decided to self isolate from today because my husband has other health problems as well as the dementia. I looked just now about getting deliveries from Tesco. No time slots until 4th April! Looked at click and collect so my daughter could collect for me still no time slots till end of month. So the advice to shop online where possible isn't going to work. I'm going to have to risk doing it myself but I'm wondering what is going to be the quietest time to go.
Our local Tesco showed first slot on April 6th, Sainsburys nothing till even later than that. We’ll have starved by then!!! I’m planning to go about 6am one morning, if I can persuade my husband with AD to stay in bed until I come back. Tried that at Xmas time, and came home to find he’d got up, tried to get shaved (no shower)and was distressed because he thought I’d left him for good!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisBoreham