Shopping problem

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I looked up various contacts and volunteer hubs suggested on here, but the trouble is that we are simply too young (even for Iceland). We live in an area with a very high proportion of elderly people (possibly the highest in the country) so all these services are struggling to meet demand and are not making any exceptions, at all.

I was so so depressed and just knew that I would have to go back to the supermarket, which I was dreading. And then yesterday - almost miraculously - I got a phone call. Now OH used to be (in another life) on the local Parish Council and he had kept in touch, so the office had seen his decline. They phoned me to say they were sorting out food boxes for the vulnerable and asking if I had received the letter from the government. I explained that we didnt qualify because we were too young and OH does not have a diagnosis and she said, did we want a food box anyway because they knew how unwell he was? I just cried on the phone. The food box got left outside the door later on in the day and it meant I wont have to go to the supermarket again this weekend. It doesnt solve the problem of the gluten free bread, but the carer is coming back on Monday and said she would pick up a gluten free loaf on the way (she gets priority). I cant describe how happy it made me feel going through that box.
That’s so nice to hear?

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Morning!
i had intended going shopping on Thursday morning, but could really face it. I went to a local farm shop, weren’t even sure they would be open. They were, so able to buy frozen meals for one ( so often they are for two, I don’t mind having the same meal two days following, but it’s another fiddle! ) The car park is right in front of the door, so that’s OK. There was somewhere outside but under cover to wash your hands. I met a friend I hadn’t seen for ages. All in all, a good experience.
Next day I managed to get going to my local supermarket. The queue, at 07:55, was around the car park and on the approach road. I parked, BB so near the door, gate crashed the queue, well, they did make room for me! Then went into the shop. I was amazed to see that the toilets were blocked off! Is this legal, or something to do with Coronavirus? It is two separate loos, kitted out for people with disabilities, leading from an entrance lobby easily big enough for two people to stand 2 m apart. I queried this, but was told that was what they had to do! For people like me ( in case you are new, I had a kidney removed last year, and the bladder is still recovering from the shock! But much better that pre-op.) When you feel you want to go, you have to go!
This doesn’t seem right!
I was also told that the quietest time is between 11:00 and 13:00, previously the busiest time.
Maybe I’ll try that next week.
Only my next door neighbour has asked me if I want any shopping. That’s not the neighbour with whom Ive had coffee every week for the last umpteen years, who, post-op, doesn’t speak to me, but the other one with whom I’ve barely spoken to since he’s been here.
Tis a funny old world!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I had previously looked at Doves Farm when I was trying to get GF bread flour, @annebythesea The problems is that OH is very inflexible about what he eats for lunch - if it isnt a sandwich, he wont eat anything (sigh). Ive tried him with oat bars, rice cakes and salad, but if its not a sandwich its no go. I was naughty and stockpiled GF pasta, so its only really the bread thats the problem now. As Im now OK for the rest of the food for this coming week Im hoping that I can ask someone to get bread for him. I mightbe able to persuade him to eat bagels or even muffins, in a pinch if there is nothing else.

annebythesea

I had previously looked at Doves Farm when I was trying to get GF bread flour, @annebythesea The problems is that OH is very inflexible about what he eats for lunch - if it isnt a sandwich, he wont eat anything (sigh). Ive tried him with oat bars, rice cakes and salad, but if its not a sandwich its no go. I was naughty and stockpiled GF pasta, so its only really the bread thats the problem now. As Im now OK for the rest of the food for this coming week Im hoping that I can ask someone to get bread for him. I mightbe able to persuade him to eat bagels or even muffins, in a pinch if there is nothing else.
Oh sigh indeed. Hope you get something sorted going forward.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
@canary
It might be worth looking at the Shipton Mill website, they are opening delivery slots each day and they mill gluten free flour.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I had a look at their website @reedysue and got quite excited until I noticed that all their GF flour was temporarily unavailable. I had a look through their other flour and I dont think that they have any flour at all available - even the ones under the category"currently available" were actually unavailable when you looked at them.

I have a nasty feeling that there is no flour at all along the supply chain

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
I had a look at their website @reedysue and got quite excited until I noticed that all their GF flour was temporarily unavailable. I had a look through their other flour and I dont think that they have any flour at all available - even the ones under the category"currently available" were actually unavailable when you looked at them.

I have a nasty feeling that there is no flour at all along the supply chain
Apparently there is no shortage of grain for milling but the mills could not keep up with the demand during the last 3 weeks in March which has caused a back-log, I would try checking Shipton Mill regularly as they are taking e-mails for delivery slots each day and say that they should soon have their whole range available.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
So glad that you got a food box to get you through last week and like the others I hope it continues and makes life a little easier for you. Fingers crossed that the Carer is able to get you some gluten free flour and/or bread

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I just wondered if you were still struggling to obtain gluten free products if you saw the item on the BBC news about local radio putting requests out. It was only a short item but thought I would mention it in case it would help you

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I hadnt heard that @Bikerbeth , thank you - that is useful information. Mostly I make everything from scratch, I had no trouble buying cornflour and I had previously stockpiled bought three bags of GF pasta, so it is just the flour that I couldnt find. Wonderfully, though, a member on here managed to find some and has sent it to me (you know who you are!), so Im feeling well blessed. So far so good. I shall have to learn to take things as they come, rather than trying to plan ahead.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
orange77