Shopping problem

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
I have a problem that many may feel is stupid and trivial, and, TBH, I rather feel the same, but it is causing me problems.

I have claustrophobia and I find shopping in a supermarket very stressful - it feels like the shelves are closing in on me and I have several times had panic attacks while there. Ive been doing local shopping for perishables and general shopping, but its reached the stage where Im going to have to do a supermarket shop. I havnt been for a month and Im getting low on the stuff I cant get locally - in particular, OHs gluten free stuff. I am dreading it.

In addition to my usual anxiety, Im worried about having to wait in a queue (which will just make the anticipation worse), worrying about not being able to find what I need and also, I have this dry cough that Ive had for a month, so I dont think Ive got coronavirus and its probably a stress cough, but what happens if I start coughing in the middle of the supermarket? Normally I would take someone with me for moral support, but I cant do that.

OH and I are both under 70 and OH does not have a diagnosis, despite having multiple neurological problems. He has had so many infections of different sorts over the past 18 months that a doctor asked me if there was any reason why he had low immunity - whether he had had chemotherapy, or had HIV? The answer is no, no-one knows why, but Im sure that he is in the high risk category, except, of course, that he isnt. This means that we get no priority at all, I cant go in when its quiet, there are no delivery slots, and I worry about bringing the virus back.

Any advice and or tips for getting me there?
I see you have had lots of advice on the shopping. I just wanted to say that if you have had a dry cough for a while and think it is stress related, it might be due to acid reflux (mine is) so worth trying some antacids if you haven't already to see if that helps.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I've been a bit distracted by life and couldn't offer anything helpful so haven't commented but so pleased to see you have got some flour sent you and a food box.

I certainly think different supermarkets in different areas are managing better than others.

I had a dry tickly cough for a few weeks in march and was blaming hayfever but it then suddenly disappeared - throat lozenges helped when it irritated me - it did get worse when near pollen so as I'm indoors so much maybe that has helped (was particularly bad when I went out at lunch for a sandwich)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerryann76