Shopping for the vertically challenged!

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi All

Can anybody help with a web site that caters for the vertically challenged. Mum is only 4ft 8, and bless her has lost weight in recent months and needs some new skirts, trousers etc. the easy pull on kind would be best.

In the past I have always shortened her clothes for her, but I have found now that most of the clothing is so long, all the shape is lost by the time I have shortened by about 8"!

Any suggestions greatfully received.
Cate

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Cate said:
Hi All

Can anybody help with a web site that caters for the vertically challenged. Mum is only 4ft 8, and bless her has lost weight in recent months and needs some new skirts, trousers etc. the easy pull on kind would be best.

In the past I have always shortened her clothes for her, but I have found now that most of the clothing is so long, all the shape is lost by the time I have shortened by about 8"!

Any suggestions greatfully received.
Cate

The only thing that springs to mind is that a lot of shops do 'petite' ranges that may be suitable, and some of them would have online stores if that is how you prefer to order. I can't think of any names off the top of my head other than the likes of Dorothy Perkins which may be a bit 'young' for you mum. You could try a google of something like 'petite clothing ranges' and see what you come up with.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
A friend of my DD's (4"10") buys most of her clothes from children's ranges. Nowadays, with companies trying to get even pre-teens to buy fashion forward clothes, you can get very stylish items in children departments. Might be a little too fashion forward I suppose. Otherwise I guess you may need to start with petite siszes and shorten (or find a seamstress to do it for you) or sew it youself (or is that a dirty word?).:)

Jennifer

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi

Thanks both for your suggestions. Will try Google, and children's clothes. I've just finished shortening 4 pair of trousers for mum, (yep dirty word sewing), but had to lob so much off the bottom, bless, Charlie Chaplin springs to mind, mum seems happy enough with my efforts though.

Thanks again. Heading off to Tammy Girl tomorrow - this should be interesting!! Mum may just end up looking like one foxy lady!!

Kind regards to you both

Cate

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Let's hear it for the kids clothes departments!

My Mum is 5 ft. tall, has always been petite, but now weighs only 5 stones 7 lbs. Through trial & error, I find that clothes of the size 10-11 yrs old are usually a reasonable fit. Asda "George" do a reasonable range, & they will exchange things which don't fit.
Ref. shortening things, I use Wonder-web - no sewing, it's a tape that you pin inside the hem and you just use an iron! It withstands washing without letting go, although I sometimes add a strengthening stitch here & there if the hem is likely to get pulled about when dressing (trouser bottoms for example).