Shoes - Why...

PatRayH

Aug 16, 2021
Purchased a shoe rack with mum who selected it. Fixed it up. Paired all her shoes up on the rack......4 weeks later I visit and only single shoes on the rack and matching shoes scattered in all types of other places about the house.

Any ideas how to cope with this....anytime she has to go out she/me/carers have to spend 20 minutes looking for paired shoes.

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
Have you thought about hiding a pair of shoes somewhere in the house? This won't solve the shoe scattering but at least you'll know where to find a pair when you want to go out.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Maybe leave fewer pairs of shoes out for your mum to muddle up and as @My Mum's Daughter says hide the pair your mum usually wears.
Is your mum home alone at night? My mum seemed to go into a sort of fugue state and move things round, maybe because she was 'looking for something'. Mum then claimed it was the neighbours coming in and moving the cushions off her sofa etc.

PatRayH

Aug 16, 2021
Yes shes at home alone at night...and yes shes always blaming the neighbours for moving stuff..she always has an explanation...its just exhausting explaining everytime.

Munchkin22

Sep 6, 2021
Like others have already said, is there a way that either you or her carers could hide a certain pair of shoes (the ones that she is most likely to wear when going out), in a location that only you know about and perhaps somewhere that she wouldn't be likely to look/go.

If hiding one pair doesnt work, then perhaps a couple of pairs in a variety of locations incase she finds any of them

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
If you are the only one who takes her out you could maybe keep a pair in the boot of your car so they are alway ready for her to wear on any trips out.

Emmcee

Dec 28, 2015
Purchased a shoe rack with mum who selected it. Fixed it up. Paired all her shoes up on the rack......4 weeks later I visit and only single shoes on the rack and matching shoes scattered in all types of other places about the house.

Any ideas how to cope with this....anytime she has to go out she/me/carers have to spend 20 minutes looking for paired shoes.
When I was experiencing something similar with my Mum, instead of trying to provide an explanation or allow myself to get too frazzled, I tried to inject a bit of humour. Our "Mr Nobody" has the ability to hide clothes, lose money, change the doorbell settings, transfer rotten food from the bin back into the fridge, lose packets of toilet rolls etc etc. Some of the other suggestions about hiding a pair of shoes in a place your Mum wouldn't think of, is an excellent idea ..... unless, of course, Mr Nobody is around.